Damjan

33 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

The compressor just behind the ears? Do not you have a headache?

I noticed this too.  I have my compressor in a separate room, and I think caterpillar does too.  Those things are loud.  In my first lab I could nt put the compressor in a separate room, so I built a separate room (installed walls) around the compressor and insulated it.  Kept those noise to a bearable level.  Otherwise, I see a fine lab there; and so clean!  Are those German sandblasting units you showed?  I'd like to see more fossils you work on.  Is the urchin from Slovenia?  

Please keep any mention of sales to the Member to Member Sales Forum.  ;) 

Thanks. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My compressor is only about 3 feet from my bench due to space constraints. This is not a problem for one reason only, since most of my work is done with scribes, I wear hearing protection already. :D

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My compressor is only about 3 feet from my bench due to space constraints. This is not a problem for one reason only, since most of my work is done with scribes, I wear hearing protection already. :D

What?! Type louder I can't hear you!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

What?! Type louder I can't hear you!

Pull your fingers out of your ears...

6 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

I use an oil cooled compressor. Much quieter and more efficient than oiless. More expensive too. 

Mine is oil cooled also. Much quieter!

I invented a special box to house my noisy, noisy compressor, so that it runs virtually silently. It has airflow drawn over it, never overheats, and you can't hear a whisper from outside, even with your ear to the air vent. Just popped in to brag.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

I invented a special box to house my noisy, noisy compressor, so that it runs virtually silently. It has airflow drawn over it, never overheats, and you can't hear a whisper from outside, even with your ear to the air vent. Just popped in to brag.

Pictures?

9 hours ago, Aurelius said:

8 hours ago, jpc said:

Pictures?

And a schematic drawing with material list! This sounds like a magic box.

• I found this Informative 1

Photos wouldn't be much use, owing to the fact that it's all enclosed, but here is a wonderful diagram that I've just sketched up. Please, no compliments about my artwork, I am just a humble man with a gift.

compressor.jpg.b1520c5f6d56b45f1619c2c0dadb0f15.jpg

Not to scale

The side of the box opens up with normal cupboard doors, which have normal sound-proofing boards attached to the insides. If I were doing this again, I'd come up with something a bit more creative for the doors, that would block more of the sound.

I should say, this is primarily to benefit my neighbours, not myself. I was mainly concerned that the sound of a compressor would annoy the people living nearby, so this cabinet was designed with this in mind. It makes the workshop a good deal quieter, and the sound of the compressor is just a low rumble rather than an ear-shattering nightmare, but the main purpose is to ensure that the external vent doesn't allow any sound to escape, and that the noise produced in the workshop is sufficiently low that it can easily be prevented from getting outside by soundproofing on the door.

Basically, the key is the 'chimney' type box on the left, which actually draws air down into it via a fan, and the box leading to the external vent. These have large panels of wood in them, completely blocking about 60% of the box off. Their positions alternate, so that the air (and sound) can move through the boxes, but cannot travel out in a straight line. The more obstructions the sound hits, the weaker it becomes. In this way, neither the 'chimney' or the vent allow any sound to escape, but air flows freely. I seem to remember I applied sound-absorbent foam onto some of the wooden panels. I have a sound-proofing vent on the external wall.

The hoses from the compressor come out through holes drilled in my workbench with rubber surrounds, which are just the right size. 

When I started this project, I was really, really worried. Most people online describe sound-proofing as some kind of dark art, but then they would, because they usually make a living from it. But if you make sure the air can flow, but that there are enough solid obstructions to prevent the sound from passing through unobstructed, then it's not at all complicated.

• I found this Informative 3

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Awesome concept @Aurelius; thanks for sharing. One question, Why do you have a baby stroller where your compressor is supposed to be? :P

You’ve never fed a baby a can of beans?  Works great! :rofl:

21 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Awesome concept @Aurelius; thanks for sharing. One question, Why do you have a baby stroller where your compressor is supposed to be? :P

Didn't I say it was sound-proofed? Put your babies in my patent-pending ventilated sound-proofed cupboard, and you can go about your crucial daily business in peace!

13 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Didn't I say it was sound-proofed? Put your babies in my patent-pending ventilated sound-proofed cupboard, and you can go about your crucial daily business in peace!

:fistbump: