Manasota Key Finds

DaniBandani

We are in Venice, FL visiting family and it’s been such beautiful weather! The past 3 mornings, I have lugged myself and my 2 toddlers (1 and 3 years old) to the key and we have had the best time. We had a good storm a couple days ago and the tide has been pretty high with some decent size waves, so hunting has been tough, especially having to be so careful with the babies. But here are some of our finds from our trip - not too shabby for having to hunt while chasing toddlers! Was really hoping to come home with a real gem, but the kids love the sharks teeth so I’ll take it. This is about 1/2 our haul. Some of my favorites. I’m so new to this, but I feel like I’ve read half the forum over the last week or two. It’s addicting! 

If anyone has any idea what some of the circled items are, I’d love to hear.

26828366-BADF-44A8-A98C-69D7230602E6.jpeg

70AEA643-02E1-4591-93A9-6E8A3B2BB453.jpeg

F26F9E0E-C66A-48FE-A050-DFB378E0E8E7.jpeg

@DaniBandani

Photo 1 - middle circle on bottom and Photo 3 by the battery, look like fossilized, broken crab claws.

Photo 1 - right circle at bottom and Photo 4 & 5, the 2 lighter brown, curved objects look like marine mammal teeth. Could be dolphin or something else.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Photo 1 - left circle at bottom, white tubular object looks like broken piece of coral.

Don't know much biology

Photos 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 - black and gold cylindrical object with white writing appears to be a AA Duracell battery from the Holocene Epoch. :hearty-laugh: :rofl: :D

Don't know much biology

I love it when I have some theories in my head about what certain things are and others agree! I’m too much of a wuss to put my uneducated guesses out there to all of you knowledgeable fossil-hunters. Lol! I was also thinking crab claw and dolphin tooth - and I assumed coral as well, but I know absolutely nothing about coral so wasn’t sure if it was a specific type. I may try and get out to Blind Pass tomorrow morning and bring a sifter - it was too wavy to get anything there with the kids this morning.

3 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Photo 1 - left circle at bottom, white tubular object looks like broken piece of coral.

Reminds me of Asterhelia palmata from Calvert cliffs, probably a relative of this.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks @jcbshark

And im thinking crab claws too - had no idea if they would fossilize or not. Neat! 

Is this one a gator tooth, or is it too narrow? 

8BDE30F9-7CD8-4F3D-8712-D5492EB6774B.png

55 minutes ago, DaniBandani said:

Thanks @jcbshark

And im thinking crab claws too - had no idea if they would fossilize or not. Neat! 

Is this one a gator tooth, or is it too narrow? 

8BDE30F9-7CD8-4F3D-8712-D5492EB6774B.png

Need photos from other angles to be sure, with a scale (but not that fossilized AA battery.)  Just kidding on the battery. :P

Don't know much biology

Ha! I know it’s kind of a silly thing to use for scale, but we’re on vacation and I couldn’t find a coin in this house for the life of me. :headscratch:

Not sure if these are any better, but hey. (And I think we’re heading back out to the key with a “Florida snow shovel” in hand this morning. If the kids let me, I may even be allowed to use it!) :hearty-laugh::fingerscrossed:

F2DC1313-5B24-4029-BC59-D083A08B68A0.jpeg

EAAB4256-665C-42A0-BE5B-C3E7D3E39699.jpeg

not sure that’s a tooth but I def don’t think gator. Possibly a fish tooth

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Archived