Dino poo?

Malone

I see a weathered rock. I'm not seeing anything diagnostic here to suggest coprolite. Maybe @GeschWhat will be able to confirm.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

I see a weathered rock. I'm not seeing anything diagnostic here to suggest coprolite. Maybe @GeschWhat will be able to confirm.

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

In all seriousness, I cut up some potatoes on Sunday for beef stew that looked exactly like this!!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

56 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

In all seriousness, I cut up some potatoes on Sunday for beef stew that looked exactly like this!!

Yum

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Thank you for your response 

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I agree with water worn rock - maybe flint/chert. It could be pretty if polished up!

Thank you for your response! It seems like it has wrinkles in it and I haven't seen rock fracture like that before, but that doesn't mean much.there's a lot of things I haven't seen! I have learned lots of great stuff since I have been getting responses from here!

Just now, Malone said:

Thank you for your response! It seems like it has wrinkles in it and I haven't seen rock fracture like that before, but that doesn't mean much.there's a lot of things I haven't seen! I have learned lots of great stuff since I have been getting responses from here!

By the way really cool play on words with your title/name!

On 2/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, GeschWhat said:

I agree with water worn rock - maybe flint/chert. It could be pretty if polished up!

I found one I think might be a coprolite and the general consensus seems to be you have the knowledge on coprolites. I would appreciate your opinion.

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Sorry, but that is not a coprolite either.

It has a small claw in it. Just to the right of the long piece of debris and to the left of the dark piece of debris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 1:38 PM, Kane said:

Question: could this be a gastrolith? The reason why I ask is because it really stands out from the rock of the same type that I have found in the area, also the fractures are all smooth giving the appearance of wrinkles. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Gastroliths (gizzard stones) are used to help grind down the animals food. The ones I have seen are will polished, and the only way to be sure a rock is a gastrolith is to find it in association with an articulated fossil.

I do not see anything in the 2nd rock that looks like it came from organic origins. I see some granular mineralization that can often be found in sandtone.

The 3rd stone looks nothing like a coprolite either.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 2/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, GeschWhat said:

Hi GeshWhat. I was wondering if this could possibly be a gastrolith? The reason I was wondering was due to the smoothness of  the fractured areas giving the appearance of wrinkles differentiating it from other rock in the same area.

2 minutes ago, Malone said:

Hi GeshWhat. I was wondering if this could possibly be a gastrolith? The reason I was wondering was due to the smoothness of  the fractured areas giving the appearance of wrinkles differentiating it from other rock in the same area.

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

Gastroliths (gizzard stones) are used to help grind down the animals food. The ones I have seen are will polished, and the only way to be sure a rock is a gastrolith is to find it in association with an articulated fossil.

Is the absence of stomach acid the cause for the ingested stone? I picked this up because it was shiny and it's smooth even in the crack areas.

This is not a "well polished" stone. Looks like it was found in river gravels.

Was it found in association with a articulated fossil?

2 minutes ago, Malone said:

Is the absence of stomach acid the cause for the ingested stone?

No, the gastrolith was/is a stone that is/was used as a secondary "tooth" to help grind the food to facilitate digestion.

Think of making bread with the whole seed instead of flour.

Archived