My Large Find on the NSR

believerjoe

Welp, VFOTM this month just got a whole lot easier.

Sea lizard lovers are drooling over this right now (me included!) :drool:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

5 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Welp, VFOTM this month just got a whole lot easier.

Sea lizard lovers are drooling over this right now (me included!) :drool:

This drool worthy find was made in the middle of January.  I imagine most of the prep occurred soon after, so this one likely will not qualify.  ;)

Besides, when you find something this cool, a VFOTM award is no big deal.  :D

:wub::drool::faint:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

35 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

This drool worthy find was made in the middle of January.  I imagine most of the prep occurred soon after, so this one likely will not qualify.  ;)

Besides, when you find something this cool, a VFOTM award is no big deal.  :D

:wub::drool::faint:

It was found in January? I didn't see that. Maybe I just don't read or English good.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Well holy snarge congrats buddy! Such an amazing find. Let us know when we can visit your museum, I mean house :ighappy:

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Golden drool bucket worthy? If I was a mod...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

It was found in January? I didn't see that. Maybe I just don't read or English good.

I did find it in January,  and still prepping parts. Lots of little bone that I continue to work on.  I even went today and found a couple of missing pieces.  Found the other half of a quadrate and another jaw section.  

• I found this Informative 2

If the quadrate can be reassembled, confirmation of the genus could be possible.  Would love to see photos as you get time.  

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

8 hours ago, John S. said:

Well holy snarge congrats buddy! Such an amazing find. Let us know when we can visit your museum, I mean house :ighappy:

It is pretty cool.  Added to the collection today.  

On 2/8/2018 at 5:20 PM, believerjoe said:

I did find it in January,  and still prepping parts. Lots of little bone that I continue to work on.  I even went today and found a couple of missing pieces.  Found the other half of a quadrate and another jaw section.  

Keep a photo record and when You finish then You should enter it into the FotM contest.:thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Congrats on a killer find Joe. You deserve it with the hard work hunting you do. 

This is a winning fossil find for sure! Congratulations!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 2/10/2018 at 7:43 AM, JarrodB said:

Congrats on a killer find Joe. You deserve it with the hard work hunting you do. 

I don’t know that it is deserved, but it seems a shame that the majority of major finds are made by folks not looking for them.  I just assume that spending hours over and over again in the same places can pay off, but there is an aspect of this that people do not see.  I went the other day and wanted to go farther in an area than I had before.  I know there are animals washing out, but how far and how hard are they to get to if you can see them.  I wound up in a mostly dirt with little shale and the mud was a nightmare.  I thought I saw a big vert on a pile past a deep water hole, so I HAD to get to it.  I was hugging a bank edge and the mud under me gave way, so I slid down into an endlessly deep pocket of mud.  Both boots submerged and up to my hips.  I still could not feel the bottom.  I was clawin at the bank to get a foot lifted out and it took forever.  I made it past only to realize that it was not a vert!  I was then looking to escape the mud pocket by going up and around, but it was way too slick.  When I got back past that spot, I was rethinking how hard I might try in the future!  Lol. I usually decide when I leave if I am going hard core or just casual.  

I have done that for hours and I was helping some new Fossil hunters as of late, and in one day, they had found a better piece of mosasaur jaw and fish jaw than I had in all my looking....  Just the way it goes!  Of course this find is not bad, but there should be better out there!  Just gotta put in the time and track them.

Thanks for the kind words.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:20 PM, believerjoe said:

I am really happy to hear that you went back and found more!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

14 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I am really happy to hear that you went back and found more!

The bad news is that what I found was washed out and not in place.  That means more could be gone that way.  I will keep on it though.  

This is Fossil of the Year worthy IMHO. Excellent Mososaur jaws. These are very difficult to find. Congratulations.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

So.....  I went to look downstream from the site after a rain to see if anything would show, and as luck would have it, there was another jaw piece in a wash pile.  I was able to join that up with another fragment, and an entire mandible is now present!  It was broken possibly in its death, so it will not glue together, but a nice addition.  It is in the middle of this picture.  Nothing for scale in the photo, but the longest jaw is over 20 inches.  I am still doing some prep, but running out of pieces now.  I will be posting some random bone pictures for the followers over the next few days.  

61AD2D1B-FA45-4B7B-92B0-92F46EA6AF78.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

And I do not fully understand Fossil color, but three jaws and all different colors....  A beautiful display that does not make unless you find beauty in the chaos.  

Lots of things can affect color...super addition to this discovery.

57 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Lots of things can affect color...super addition to this discovery.

I need about 50 people to sift through hundreds of cubic feet of shale to find all those teeth.  We have rain in the forecast for almost every day.  

On 6.2.2018 at 11:22 PM, believerjoe said:

I have a long story about a hike out as I was not prepared for such that I will spare you from, but I had finally found some jaws with teeth whether I would destroy them getting out of there or not.  There is more to this story, but I wanted to at least share what got me so excited and the reason I spend hours wandering around in the middle of nowhere. 

Congratulations!! It sure would be nice if you could tell us the rest of the story, since I have a bunch of questions, but that's maybe asking a bit too much. Did you extract it alone or did you have help? Why didn't you try to jacket it? How did you mark the position of the various pieces? etc. etc.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/