My Large Find on the NSR

believerjoe

The gift that keeps on giving! I’d like to thank you personally for not entering the fossil of the month for Feb btw:D

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

1 hour ago, John S. said:

The gift that keeps on giving! I’d like to thank you personally for not entering the fossil of the month for Feb btw:D

Lol.  I don’t know how this fits into all of that.  I found the site in Jan, so not eligible.  I am not trying to win any awards, just enjoying collecting this critter.  Holler if you want to dig sometime.  

25 minutes ago, believerjoe said:

Lol.  I don’t know how this fits into all of that.  I found the site in Jan, so not eligible.  I am not trying to win any awards, just enjoying collecting this critter.  Holler if you want to dig sometime.  

Ha I hear that. No rush if you enter, just when prep is done. I’d love to go hunt with you:dinothumb:

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

On 3/4/2018 at 10:21 PM, John S. said:

Ha I hear that. No rush if you enter, just when prep is done. I’d love to go hunt with you:dinothumb:

We just need to pick a day.  I have a day mext week I can go.

While this is a really awesome find, I'm more impressed by how well you have put the broken bits of bone back together. You must be very good at jigsaw puzzles! Great job!

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

7 hours ago, Hal said:

While this is a really awesome find, I'm more impressed by how well you have put the broken bits of bone back together. You must be very good at jigsaw puzzles! Great job!

Some of it was easy, but what you didn’t see was try a piece here, then there, and then everywhere!  Also should note that you keep things together when you can during the removal.  Still a pain, but lots of trial and error.

You have been lucky at that site!

Can We see a new picture of Your progress and finds.

You can enter it all in the fossil of the month when You are done with the prep, as long as You have pre prep pictures.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Are you thinking of donating this to a museum once you find almost everything you can? I bet they'd be really happy to have a fresh-from-the-field Mosa skeleton. :dinosmile:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

2 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Are you thinking of donating this to a museum once you find almost everything you can? I bet they'd be really happy to have a fresh-from-the-field Mosa skeleton. :dinosmile:

Interesting personal decision, no right or wrong answer.  I tend to be in the camp of donating something new to science, but if it isn't new, the scales of justice can or should tip toward the private collector who expended the effort to bring it to possession, if that is his/her wish.  I like to see the collector keep or donate according to his own will, ignoring all voices but the one in his own head, and being satisfied with that personal decision.  Keep in mind that it is very easy to suggest how another collector dispostion his finds, if you haven't yet found something huge and significant, broken your own back on it, then given it away.

• I found this Informative 5

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

23 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Interesting personal decision, no right or wrong answer.  I tend to be in the camp of donating something new to science, but if it isn't new, the scales of justice can or should tip toward the private collector who expended the effort to bring it to possession, if that is his/her wish.  I like to see the collector keep or donate according to his own will, ignoring all voices but the one in his own head, and being satisfied with that personal decision.  Keep in mind that it is very easy to suggest how another collector dispostion his finds, if you haven't yet found something huge and significant, broken your own back on it, then given it away.

Uncle Siphuncle, I/we also have to take into account that we have a 2 year old German Shepard (named Zeus) that really fancies tasting fossil bones and shells, even if only for a few seconds. He crunched one of Mrs.SA2's Ecphora right after we got him and about 6 months ago I caught him walking around with a nearly complete Deinosuchus vertebrae in his mouth. He was proud and prancing with that vert in his mouth. Must have known he had something quite special. 

20180309_133255_resized.jpg.1c7f94bbdb5f913b6cc96d81929d5511.jpg

Mrs.SA2 and I will always donate for scientific study / research or for display purposes. We will never donate something to be another "thing" in a collection or sit in a box in a basement or warehouse. I will say though, the decision to donate is made much easier when you have a personal relationship with the paleontologist(s) and/or the receiving facility.

(Caveat - I do not have a mossy skeleton I spent hundreds of hours excavating, recovering, packing out of the bush and then cleaning / prepping. If I did, I'm sure Zeus would want a "taste" of that too.)

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

about 6 months ago I caught him walking around with a nearly complete Deinosuchus vertebrae in his mouth. He was proud and prancing with that vert in his mouth. Must have known he had something quite special. 

Sounds like You should take that dog into the field with Your next hunt. (train him well).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Sounds like You should take that dog into the field with Your next hunt. (train him well).

He loves being on fossil expeditions and has brought me many bones, all from dead fish, deer or extant birds.

20180309_170030.thumb.jpg.caaef27561503eafc2775cbf8f25ce6d.jpg

20170218_182330.thumb.jpg.21f634633a8b896030f34e6062cb6620.jpg

I want to take him on a fossil hunting trip out west. Would be interesting to see him dragging back a dino limb bone, with fresh scavenging marks. :bone:

:doh!: 

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

I have found and donated a much more rare mosasaur.  This one is common, but just so you know more about me, a local paleontologist will be checking the specimen out in the morning.  If there is anything significant about it, we will work out something.  I like having the connection with the school.  

• I found this Informative 3

So a paleontologist came over and we had a few hours of fun looking at the specimen and anything else I had.  Turns out there are some details that are hard to find and rarely seen, so we will have to have another talk when the site no longer seems active.  I did get a lesson on how some bones fit together and that was eye opening.  I did end up sending him away with some parting gifts: a Globidens tooth, Globidens jaw bone, and a Halisaurus vert.  It was the only one of its kind that I had seen, so gladly let it go.  We will see what the future holds.  I have not added a ton since some last updates.  From here on out, it could be very slow.  I will give you a couple of pics for entertainment.  

19FDAE2A-E035-40DA-A526-8E6DB3E9F841.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

36 minutes ago, believerjoe said:

So a paleontologist came over and...

Every time I see this specimen of your’s it just amazes me. For me this find would be knock-your-socks-off exciting, though at this point any mosasaur material would be exciting for me. Thanks for the update! 

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 4:48 PM, believerjoe said:

cleanedmore.jpg

Wow! Nice find and nice preservation.

20 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Every time I see this specimen of your’s it just amazes me. For me this find would be knock-your-socks-off exciting, though at this point any mosasaur material would be exciting for me. Thanks for the update! 

It has been exciting.  It has now turned into a boatload of work.  Lol. The good kind, but it takes a bit of effort to get things out. Pieces are spread out for now and hoping for another pile of bone soon.  

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, believerjoe said:

There is more.  I think maybe about 6 feet of verts and 50% of the skull....  If there is more than that, then hasn't shown itself yet.

Time to pitch the tent, get a bucket of KFC and a case of Lone Star.  You hav'ta stay with it.

3 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Time to pitch the tent, get a bucket of KFC and a case of Lone Star.  You hav'ta stay with it.

That would be great if I was in a chair watching others do the work!