Multiple IDs Requested

Shellseeker

Out on a beautiful day with friends, returning to a location that had produced some good finds where I knew what I was finding. The river was up a foot since we hunted last and since my specific location was already pretty deep,  I had to move and find another spot.

The finds were "odd" .. lots of broken mammal teeth, few small shark teeth, and lots of scutes and bones. Example: Found a complete Glypt/Dillo osteoderm smaller than a dime and my smallest Meg ever.

But this is an ID thread: 1st -- foot pad or hoof core???

IMG_0550core.thumb.jpg.d28811ef504c65d9e5acca9707856f09.jpgIMG_0551.thumb.jpg.e0e24b983c449a4b76a4e633e53f583c.jpgIMG_0552.thumb.jpg.9503ced5eb0f1c0d3cb54bc610aee7ca.jpg

2nd... Antler or tusk tip??

IMG_0564.thumb.jpg.fc5eead056110383be533f1b49e34555.jpgIMG_0565.thumb.jpg.05a67ca5f61af44c9da78c65363b7ca0.jpgIMG_0568.thumb.jpg.c9ce96ea38dcffd11044c9adba9868a0.jpg

Finally 3rd , a vertebrae with both processes broken off

IMG_0553vert.thumb.jpg.93bb0785d6ab860f3db843ca3a23135c.jpgIMG_0554.thumb.jpg.b04e95d78e715892018513f8803671eb.jpgIMG_0557.jpg.9156830a15efc42b7907b00401e97e70.jpgIMG_0559.jpg.c2bc8c251d101c4348930633eadd4f64.jpg

All guesses, requests for different views, suggestions appreciated.  Thanks Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Could the second one possibly be the tip of a billfish rostrum? I'm basing this only on something I found that looks similar. Just an idea.

G

The first one might be a manatee/dugong skull cap. Also, I wanna see the tiny meg,  you have any pictures?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Number1 looks like a vertebrae process.

The second picture looks exactly like the underside of a probuscan thoracic vertebrae process that I have on my desk.

When ever I post to Fossil_ID, I also start searching with google image "fossil vertebrae (large mammal)" When I look at the vert, I realize that it is a LOT bigger than I am but not as big as Mastodon/Mammoth. There are only so many such mammals in my hunting ground,  horse, bison, camel/llama, sloth, glyptodon, giant armadillo,  On the vertebrae, I only got as far as sloth: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/16902-florida-fossils-multiple-id-thread/

11 hours ago, flyg said:

Could the second one possibly be the tip of a billfish rostrum? I'm basing this only on something I found that looks similar. Just an idea.

I did not think of that ... Peccary tusks have a tip that is similar, but like your find I can see no enamel... Maybe antler,  but your suggestion/identification is much better.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

The first one might be a manatee/dugong skull cap. Also, I wanna see the tiny meg,  you have any pictures?

I will focus my search on dugong... If that IS a dugong skull cap, it is also small and one of the best preserved compared to others found on the Internet.  In a Fossil forum post @Harry Pristisadded some great photos.  I am not sure. Thanks

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/66932-sirenian-fossils-manatee-or-dugong/

IMG_0562.thumb.jpg.405260324d24a4aea104e21c8aaff2fb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

As you can see, I was concerned about size... 4 inches across would be small for proboscidean. There are some very similar photos here also:

https://www.fossilera.com/fossils/fossil-giant-sloth-megalonyx-tail-vertebra-florida

1 hour ago, fossilus said:

This vertebrae is about 8.3 inches wide, so yours is smaller. But it does look very similar.

:headscratch:Brain lapse on my part!!!! I was talking the 3rd fossil up for ID, and you are discussing the 2nd photo of the 1st fossil up for ID. It would help if I could just read and comprehend.

I agree that my 1st fossil looks very similar to the process end of your proboscidean  vert process and at almost 3 inches could be a match.