Moroccan Fish Fossil Triplomystus?

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello. Good morning to all my friends from my favorite super forum! :wub:

Yesterday I had to break my little piggy bank and from this piggy bank I was able to get my last US $29,99 to get this little gem of nature.

image.png.ef6423615b684046ecc65f6ddcf83e5c.png

I know TFF does not allow valuations, but only what I would like to ask is whether it is real? And whether it was a good purchase?

It is a fish of the species Triplomystus sp.

The seller's description: This fish is found in sublithographic limestone similar to that seen in Lebanese Lagerstatte (where the genus Triplomystus is also found. Fish from this Moroccan have become available only in recent years, and many may be new to science. The fish is known as Triplomystus, a member of the Paraclupeidae family that were described from Lebanon.

Class Actinopterygii, Order Ellemmichthyformes, Family Paraclupeidae

Geological Time: Late Cretaceous

Size: Fish fossil is 4,7 cm

Fossil Site: Ramlia Taouz, Morocco

All opinions are welcome! Thank you! :D

image.png.785f23fdbe3e276be213aad42daf8df6.png

image.png.c2154d9652786a9c5979e83510b642c1.png

image.png

image.png

image.png.a653f2d174696add1ccbc9d8ab914df8.png

image.png.acc2c082bf3a05e75d4e6273cd306897.png

image.png.2c2330b4ce4717b39524039ff7416e16.png

image.png.fd9ed4614f68c17ea1d16b985e89c528.png

image.png.7d799faa4b2923d8201de5ee20535afc.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Looks real to me. 

They went to the trouble of scrapping away all the matrix to contrast the fish layer. The bones are clearly showing as they would if it was a split fish. There would be another mirror image fossil of the other half. If the fossil layer was already split in the ground, each side could end up water stained or oxidized by penetrating ground water. This could make the fish harder to distinguish. Which is easily remedied by carving away all the stained surface except for the actual fish. So yes, that's why I would say it's real. The discoverer probably sold the other half for the same price. 

The bits that matter:

scurhouvsatlumfronie2udgesllifernakuristlanthc.jpg

Otherwise confusion might result with Thorectichthys(AS Oilshale pointed out in 2014):

scurhouvsatlumfronie2udgesllifernakuristlanthc.jpg

I've not seen these for sale here, but I may not have been paying attention. 

It's lovely and looks real. :wub:

Nice purchase! 

Worth breaking the bank for, my friend! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Hello. Good morning to all my friends from my favorite super forum! :wub:

Yesterday I had to break my little piggy bank and from this piggy bank I was able to get my last US $29,99 to get this little gem of nature.

image.png.ef6423615b684046ecc65f6ddcf83e5c.png

I know TFF does not allow valuations, but only what I would like to ask is whether it is real? And whether it was a good purchase?

It is a fish of the species Triplomystus sp.

The seller's description: This fish is found in sublithographic limestone similar to that seen in Lebanese Lagerstatte (where the genus Triplomystus is also found. Fish from this Moroccan have become available only in recent years, and many may be new to science. The fish is known as Triplomystus, a member of the Paraclupeidae family that were described from Lebanon.

Class Actinopterygii, Order Ellemmichthyformes, Family Paraclupeidae

Geological Time: Late Cretaceous

Size: Fish fossil is 4,7 cm

Fossil Site: Ramlia Taouz, Morocco

All opinions are welcome! Thank you! :D

There's a lot of confusion. Many traders offer these fish under a wrong name. In the chalk of Lebanon, two species of the genus Triplomystus (T. noorae and T. oligocostatus) are found that look quite similar. Therefore, it was assumed that Moroccan fish are also belong to the genus Triplomystus.

In 2013,  Murray and Wilson took a closer look at the fish from Gara es Sbâa, Morocco. The fish look superficially like Triplomystus, but Gara es Sbâa's fish differ from those in Lebanon in several ways. Accordingly, the fish were not assigned to the genus Triplomystus, but to the new genus Thorectichys (with two species: T marocensis and T. rhadinus).

Two new paraclupeid fishes Clupeomorpha Ellimmichthyformes from the Upper Cretaceous of Morocco.pdf

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

13 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I've not seen these for sale here, but I may not have been paying attention. 

It's lovely and looks real. :wub:

Nice purchase! 

Worth breaking the bank for, my friend! 

And really is a rare specimen my friend @Tidgy's Dad!

According to rumors that happen in the Tucson show,  the location on the Moroccan-Algeria border is a militarily sensitive location which had restricted access but now has been closed, making the specimens even harder!

03.PNG

3 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

And really is a rare specimen my friend @Tidgy's Dad!

According to rumors that happen in the Tucson show,  the location on the Moroccan-Algeria border is a militarily sensitive location which had restricted access but now has been closed, making the specimens even harder!

Some of those areas are dead dodgy for sure. 

It's a lovely fish, :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 hours ago, oilshale said:

There's a lot of confusion. Many traders offer these fish under a wrong name....

Very informative my friend @oilshale! Thank you very much! :D

But this my fish that I bought then is a Thorectichys marocensis or a Thorectichys rhadinus? :headscratch:

03.PNG

Yours is a Thorectichtys marocensis, the "pregnant looking" one. T rhadinus looks almost normal.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

On 08/02/2018 at 2:15 PM, oilshale said:

Yours is a Thorectichtys marocensis, the "pregnant looking" one. T rhadinus looks almost normal.

On 08/02/2018 at 2:35 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

+ 1 for Thorectichtys marocensis.. 

I thank all of you my friends for the correct identification. Huge hug! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

03.PNG

Archived