D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys,

Yesterday I splited oil shale erratic that is originated from North Estonia and is Kukruse stage (Sandbian, Late Ordovician) in age and I found this intriguing segment... :D    

I found very similar shape in Chasmataspis drawings and fossil photo, please note that Chasmataspis second segment is also serrated in the lateral edges and it is also little segmented in the mid part. The age of Chasmataspis is Middle Ordovician, ir is found only in one place of USA and its age is up to 460 million years. So it is one question- Could it be the new member of Chasmataspididae family while the only one genus in this taxon is known?? :) 

Please tell your ideas if you could. :)

Best Regards

Domas

The links to Chasmataspis:

http://www.palaeocast.com/palaeoart-competition-entries/

Vaizdo rezultatas pagal užklausą „chasmataspidida fossil“

chasmataspididae second segment.jpg

I don’t really see the resemblance, but it’s definitely worth showing to an expert!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you WhodamanHD, it is very important to me to find expert on this fossil but I do not think it is easy to find who know more about such a rare arthropod group like chasmataspidids. Maybe you know someone? :)

Any help will be appreciated!

Best Regards

Domas 

Archived