marinematt18

Found a great new beach along the St Johns this past weekend and when night came I knew I was leaving teeth there and had to go back asap. Unfortunately I am not a morning person and the tides this week were early morning or at night. I chose to a night search not knowing how hard it is to surface collect teeth with just a headlamp. Nevertheless in my few hours combing the beach I found over 60 mostly very little teeth, but found this awesome GW to my surprise. The root was sticking out of the sand and I did not think it was a tooth, but had to investigate and I am very glad I did. For sure my best quality tooth so far (IF ONLY THE TIP WERE STILL THERE!!! but they gotta eat too I suppose). Image may contain: shoes

Pretty neat! Tip dings are always a bummer for any tooth.

Also, welcome to the forum, marinematt18 !

:meg:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Tis a very nice tooth. Don’t find’em up here too often.:envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congratulations,  for what is, one of many great finds, in your future!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very nice tooth. Always a pleasure to find a nice lower great white.

When I first clicked on your post I was not sure of which Jacksonville you were talking about until I saw the St Johns River. There is more than one Jacksonville in the United States. I know you are talking about Florida, but please remember that we have members from all over the world that may not know this. There is a Jacksonville North Carolina, only 25 minutes from me and there are places close to there where great whites can be found. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Welcome to the club... and also to TFF.  May you have many GWs in your future.2015Apr18GW2.jpg.55cb3adc0a1ceff05bd6a3c20f61c989.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The club of "Awesome Great White teeth with broken tips"?  Come on Jack, he is just a new guy!  (he'll have plenty of time to become cynical like the rest of us later.....):blink:

Still it is better than the club of "Awesome fossil I found but then broke/lost before I got it (out/home/cleaned)"

48 minutes ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

The club of "Awesome Great White teeth with broken tips"?  Come on Jack, he is just a new guy!  (he'll have plenty of time to become cynical like the rest of us later.....):blink:

Still it is better than the club of "Awesome fossil I found but then broke/lost before I got it (out/home/cleaned)"

I seriously doubt I could ever be upset with finding any great white tooth or any tooth for that matter, especially any tooth of size. As an up and coming shark biologist its just cool finding something connected to a shark that lived thousands-millions of years ago. Its not about the monetary value or about the aesthetic appeal, its about what can be learned from the tooth and the historical value. Also, there is really only one way to safely touch a shark tooth and that's in the dirt, trust me lol. Do I wish the tooth was whole, ya, but I am just gonna tell myself that the tip was broken during feeding, which in my opinion is even cooler than a full tooth. Yes it doesn't have the aesthetic appeal a full tooth does, but its like comparing a ball signed by whoever your favorite athlete is or having an actual game ball used by said athlete. Now that's not saying full perfect teeth weren't used but there is no proof. Especially when you get into the larger species that commonly encountered heavy mammalian bones combined with insane bite forces, a chipped tooth or worse was almost guaranteed.  

Congrats, I found my first meg at night searching along a river with a headlamp just like that. My friend I always hunted with at the time refused to go because he said we wouldn't find anything at night. I knew i would be able to see the shine of the enamel at night with a decent light, especially if it was a decent size meg, no problem. Also it almost guaranteed no one else would be out hunting for teeth, as I had been seeing more and more shoe prints of hunters that got there before me and had already left along the spot we were hunting at the time. Its crazy to think this meg may have never been found by a person if I hadn't found it that night, the spot i found it was only exposed at low tide and the incoming tide would wash everything out again. My friend and I had been searching for months and I only found my first meg because I decided to look at night! You have the right attitude, keep it up and I predict you'll find some awesome shark teeth in your future!

IMG_0762.thumb.JPG.9579da431003d4e9bf6b5d8fe2321f55.JPG

Has a little tip ding so i imagine it was used, but now a days I want to find the teeth that were NOT used lol. 

IMG_0764.thumb.JPG.0edc61a40ec7c53982258254fc262b92.JPG

found this decent mako that night as well. 

Archived