February 2018 - Finds of the Month - Entries

Fossildude19

Well, the Groundhogs have spoken, - 6 more weeks of Winter are in store for North America. 

Not the best of hunting weather, but we do have some hardcore folks who go out, no matter the temperatures or ground/water conditions!

I salute all of you who do go out, and find amazing things in the winter.

For those of you who have finished prep in a nice warm lab, or hunted for microfossils by the roaring fire, it is time to 

post up whatever you have found or completed prepping. 
Read the rules carefully, and post away!  :) 

Remember...PLEASE carefully read all of the rules below, ... make sure you include all the required information, in the requested format,

and submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until midnight on FEBRUARY 28th.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or most of the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.

9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

*******Please use the following format for the required information:*******

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Photos (if prepped, before and after photos, please.)

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Once the Contest Submission period has ended, after all the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for FEBRUARY 2018 !  

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Good luck! :D

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

• Fossildude19 featured this topic

I think I can predict a couple of entries :popcorn:. Good Luck everyone!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

3 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

I think I can predict a couple of entries :popcorn:. Good Luck everyone!

I've got a Conasauga Aphelaspis multi-slab (as soon as I can get better images of it).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Looks like I'll kick it off this month!

Aphelaspis Brachyphasis multi-slab

Cambrian Conasauga Formation, roughly 500 MYA

Chatsworth, GA

Found: Saturday, February 3rd

My favourite find from my recent 4th trip to the Conasauga for GA Trilos (and it was the first of the day, believe it or not). 

Overview:

IMG_20180207_230113.thumb.jpg.982cf2269c4f2367c485d49a0bd77f6b.jpg

Aphelaspis Frag cluster:

IMG_20180207_230156.thumb.jpg.d2de9f6b246d197b02b3d031a9678014.jpg

And the icing on the cake: Probably the best preserved Aphelaspis positive I have ever gotten from this site, even having clearly visible eyes!

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.149b5f116c2069d9498dfc126be9aafb.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Doesn't that always seem the case? You get something great right out of the shute then spend the rest of the day trudging about without getting much more.

At least that's how it seems to me.

Marvelous kick off for Feburary. What else is in store for our viewing pleasure?

8 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Doesn't that always seem the case? You get something great right out of the shute then spend the rest of the day trudging about without getting much more.

At least that's how it seems to me.

Marvelous kick off for Feburary. What else is in store for our viewing pleasure?

Yeah, some trips are like that. Find that big Meg, Huge whale vert, or nice and detailed Trilobite positive. Other trips you get a steady flow of goodies. I'd prefer either one, the more time out the better! :meg:

Went out last weekend to check a road cut in eastern middle Tennessee, that I have not checked well, but drive by frequently. Found a complete Ceraurus in the first two minutes, just 50 ft from the car. It will need considerable prep work, as it is mostly still buried in the matrix. 10 minutes later, I look down at my left foot and see that I almost stepped on what is probably the best thing I have ever found!

Date found: February 3, 2018

Isotelus gigas(?)

Middle Ordovician, Upper Carters Limestone/Lower Hermitage Formation

Eastern Middle Tennessee, USA

First contact!

Isotelus-sm.thumb.jpg.74d247e32d372860011bdf860045e1d4.jpg

As found.

5a7cb2add59aa_Isotelusasfound.thumb.jpg.cf819680aba8342fd189307c0796b989.jpg

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Oh my God @Hal that is a fantastic trilobite! Very big too!

And @MeargleSchmeargl your trilobites are stunning too! :wub:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Bang! The starting gun has officially gone off and it is neck and neck at the moment. Good luck guys, I have a feeling Feburary is going to be a tough month.

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Trilobite Wars! 

Both beautiful finds. :wub:

This is gonna be fun! 2-D slabs vs 3-D matrixless.

Last Saturday must have been a good luck day for trilobites. :trilo:

I really need to get down to Georgia sometime and find some Conasauga bugs. I've driven by the river site before, but did not know about it at the time.

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

3 hours ago, Hal said:

Last Saturday must have been a good luck day for trilobites. :trilo:

I really need to get down to Georgia sometime and find some Conasauga bugs. I've driven by the river site before, but did not know about it at the time.

You've really missed out, then! The best trilos in the slabs can be really detailed! Some are almost museum quality pieces! :trilosurprise:

6 hours ago, Foozil said:

Wow thats awesome to just find it laying there! Nice finds so far!

Both were found like that, believe it or not!

14 hours ago, Spinosaurus said:

some lovely find over here :drool:. would be a hard choice for the contest

Yep, and still got a good 18 days to go. I wonder what the verts have in store, and whether it will be as hard as inverts are shaping up to be! :bone:

Those are some nice bugs for sure.

Kind of funny how we all look hard and then one day right at or feet appear a marvelous specimen.

Can't wait to see other entries.  :popcorn:

Date Found : 25 October 2017

Majority of Preparation: February 2018. 

Scientific Name : Elrathia kingii (and a few partial Peronopsis)

Geologic Age and Formation: Middle Cambrian, Wheeler Shale

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

Love the way your prep make some of them look like they are crawling out of the shale.

Big difference from the unprepped ho- hum piece and the wowser finished product. The way you filled in that huge crack is amazing.

I probably spent more time trying to match the color of the matrix than I did actually excavating the bugs. It's still not perfect, but as good as I can get without pulling my hair out. 

Archived