Tooth From Peace River

Mote

Disclaimer: I’m still brand new to this, but it resembles some T. veronesis (tapir) teeth that I’ve come across in my research of Pleistocene fossils found in that area. I’m not sure about the root though, as most that I’ve seen were found with very little root. 

I’ll be interested to see what others have to say, as everyone here is far more knowledgable than I! I probably should not even comment, but I’m really enjoying learning and it’s fun to be a part of the conversation in the process. :)

I think it should be incisor or something similar, because the frontal teeth and canines have bigger root. :)

13 hours ago, Mote said:

Any help will be appreciated on ID of this tooth, Found in Peace River north of Brownville

@MoteI just realized that this is a fairly large tooth.  Please provide measurements on overall length plus length and width of chewing surface.

I agree that the very robust single root is diagnostic.... I am leaning toward carnivore.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Shellseeker, hope these help. Yes it is quite large, but doesn't look like my other Tapir teeth I have found, so thinking it is something else, just can't find anything on sites or books I have to match. Thanks.

2018-02-08 14.47.47 (2).jpg

2018-02-08 14.48.07 (2).jpg

2018-02-08 14.48.30.jpg

2018-02-08 14.48.46 (2).jpg

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

@MoteI just realized that this is a fairly large tooth.  Please provide measurements on overall length plus length and width of chewing surface.

I agree that the very robust single root is diagnostic.... I am leaning toward carnivore.

This is a side that does look split possibly one with double root tooth. other photos with measurements below.

2018-02-08 15.18.10 (2).jpg

5 hours ago, Mote said:

This is a side that does look split possibly one with double root tooth. other photos with measurements below.

Dire wolf is one of the few examples of "robust root" that makes me think your tooth may be a broken worn carnivore carnassial.

DWcarnassial1.thumb.jpg.74ef3f41043ae6afd62358173dec5cc5.jpgDWcarnassial2.thumb.jpg.6e505cef18eae3c906c68d906c1b179c.jpgDWcarnassial3.jpg.2b1436dd9a5bf71825a52f1b66002684.jpg

Some teeth are just not identifiable, but 1/2 of a dire wolf carnassial would be a good guess until you get another identification...

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"