A few bone pieces

Miocene_Mason

Found two bone bits at brownies (Miocene, Marine. Calvert FM) That I need some help with.

First up is a big old hunk (like 2.5 inch’s which is a bigger chunkosaurus than I’m used to). Wonder if it’s identifiable? It’s also got a line in it, maybe predation marks? Maybe it’s just wishful thinking l.

69EAAB3E-2284-4ACE-88FB-FB86C97A5094.jpeg

3A09ACFE-9E06-4C4E-BCF6-9831EF375BF3.png

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

509418EA-B5B9-4D65-AACD-97BA2F83197A.png

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12D03B7B-923A-4620-AEBE-8092C73D4A42.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sorry for bad pics, I’m impatient. Hopefully I’ll get some sunlit ones with scale on the morrow.

8E33A9BB-5073-463B-B2B3-74DC1E31C5EA.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

Secondly, this wierd little bone (1.5 inch’s around). This is the second one like this I’ve found. Was going to donate one to the CMM (which I still plan to do) and ask what they thought it was. But as aforementioned I am impatient. Also gonna get better pics for these.

D212D5DA-372B-4AC0-A601-56CC8B37AFC0.jpeg

F9196F68-52E2-4C98-BE97-B61EECF1EC41.jpeg

E3F4A9E5-8157-4171-A3E8-2E13E0EF897B.jpeg

9156EEDA-19E1-43AC-B76A-C7DF5D871852.jpeg

662F84FF-6D80-44BE-94D7-476EF179760E.jpeg

B201A6C8-64A9-421D-B322-3CFE16F1BDF8.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Do not think it is easily identifiable but the first could be even osteoderm like. The age of the deposit would be helpful. :)

On 2/8/2018 at 2:13 AM, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

Do not think it is easily identifiable but the first could be even osteoderm like. The age of the deposit would be helpful. :)

I think I said, it’s Miocene (early to mid). My pictures are bad (didn’t get a chance to take more) but it’s definitely not a scute.

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 2/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Secondly, this wierd little bone (1.5 inch’s around). This is the second one like this I’ve found.

This is a caudal vertebra from a cetacean.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

This is a caudal vertebra from a cetacean.

I found some Similar specimens online labeled cetacean cervical vert, thanks for setting that straight!

Happy hunting,

Mason