Calvin Jenkins

Relocating to FL a couple of years ago from VA incensed me to start hunting shark teeth, and then lo and behold I discovered that I could have been hunting in VA too.  I had heard rumors of teeth at Stratford Hall as a kid but never followed up on it.

So I finally had a trip back to VA and a chance to rush out to the beach, last minute I didn't have much time to plan but what better place to hunt fossils than "Fossil Beach", right?

The visitor center had a nice display to fan the fever...

Well it was a bit different that I expected.  I was surprised to find the grey clay material and not as much rock as I see in the "in situ" photos other send from the area.  Obviously this wasn't the honey hole I was hoping but some determined hunting did keep me from being skunked.

Fossil Beach.jpg

Visitor Center Display.jpg

I was flabbergasted when I didn’t read through it slowly enough and thought that that was our haul! Phew, I was about to hop in the car to VA:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The reason you found so many clay pieces was do to our recent cold and warm snaps that are causing the cliffs to slough off leaving billions of those clay discs!!!

Where was the pic of that table from, are they at the visitor center? Hopefully we’ll get out and do a little better local when you get home :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Yes the visitors center has a wall hanging tooth display as posted above.  I guess that display is about 4 foot wide.  Was donated by the collector.