Miocene_Mason

Got off from school today due to ice and freezing rain. As any normal person would do on a snow day, I decided to go to the beach! It was not rainy when we left, but it was pouring on the hour thirty drive. I got a little scared I’d be rained out but to my surprise it stopped as we got there. The cliffs were wet and dangerous, so I kept my distance near overhangs (don’t want to know what dying would do to my GPA). The rain was kind to me, this beauty of a cow shark (Broadnose sevengill) sat there as if it was waiting for me. It’s missing the last blade but this is my first one. Anyone know how to tell the difference between males and females?

tons of Physos (which really need a colloquial name. I propose gnarly shark or grizzly shark. Pygmy tiger sounds less cool...) and the usual chunkosaurus and turtles scutes. Picked up one to find it was purty big, just hiding under the sand. The half shark vert I found is my largest yet, and I got another one as well. I don’t usually post regular hunts but this one was nice so I thought some might like it.  The redacted bit is a legume seas I found and mistakenly thought was a whale ear bone:doh!: 

B7BEB8B2-9C4E-4477-B2A6-E6F2065EDEEF.jpeg

C7522436-36C0-4D92-B3FE-FA85CED79FA7.jpeg

08EE2862-6C70-40EA-ADBC-515DD0DC1498.jpeg

A09EFE54-4B41-43C5-A257-E533AA0C9350.jpeg

5602F2DC-7F26-4279-AF89-9B09B7A60796.jpeg

DEB472A6-682E-49CC-9DC4-1061056E1077.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, paxhunter said:

Brownies??

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Thought so I almost went there today but decided to wander on the Pax to see if the clay was gone yet

4 minutes ago, paxhunter said:

Thought so I almost went there today but decided to wander on the Pax to see if the clay was gone yet

Well after all, your name is Paxhunter not Browniehunter!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, paxhunter said:

SO much clay down at Brownies, gonna be few more rainy days before it gives up all its fossils. I was happy though, with the long drive (I live in southern Carroll county, hour and a half away) by the time I get there it’s mostly picked over. The rain is good people repellent. One of these days the meg will show itself. Judging by your thread, Pax has been good to you? 

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

SO much clay down at Brownies, gonna be few more rainy days before it gives up all its fossils. I was happy though, with the long drive (I live in southern Carroll county, hour and a half away) by the time I get there it’s mostly picked over. The rain is good people repellent. One of these days the meg will show itself. Judging by your thread, Pax has been good to you? 

Actually all of the stuff from those posts were from purse and the rest from over on the bay I only find one or 2 megs a year on the river they are much harder to find on the river I go because all I have to do is walk out my back door 

• I found this Informative 1

4 minutes ago, paxhunter said:

Actually all of the stuff from those posts were from purse and the rest from over on the bay I only find one or 2 megs a year on the river they are much harder to find on the river I go because all I have to do is walk out my back door 

That’s always nice! I walk out my door to a bunch of Schist-y rocks and diabase, but I got buckets from purse and brownies with micro to look through!

Happy hunting,

Mason

One more thing y’all! My dad usually goes on a walk once we get there and picks up things he finds interesting. He found a little odontocete tooth today

14071F26-2A27-49D6-A87C-9BF97281CE34.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Really nice that you got a day off from school because of the weather, but you got out to fossilhunt! Love that Cowshark! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

7 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Really nice that you got a day off from school because of the weather, but you got out to fossilhunt! Love that Cowshark! 

Thanks! I like the Cow Shark too!:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

Neat Cow. I'll get mine eventually...

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

That cow shark tooth would be a tripmaker for me. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventures. 

On 2/7/2018 at 11:58 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Neat Cow. I'll get mine eventually...

Don’t give up! They lay awaiting you somewhere in Georgia....

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 2/8/2018 at 11:45 AM, ynot said:

Congrats on the nice finds.

Thanks Tony!

Happy hunting,

Mason

42 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

That cow shark tooth would be a tripmaker for me. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventures. 

Thanks! Was the trip maker, though one of the chunkosauruses turned out to be a caudal cetacean vert. Someday the trip maker will be a meg....

:fingerscrossed::meg:

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Nice finds, that cow shark tooth is awesome:fistbump:

Thanks!:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Happy hunting,

Mason

Tough conditions, but some great finds! I was off from school as well, but didn't even consider going hunting. Look like it totally paid off for you though. Congrats! The weather has been pretty nasty lately, but I can see that sometimes it's best to just brave the elements and you can bring home a nice haul. Thanks for the post!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

7 hours ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

Tough conditions, but some great finds! I was off from school as well, but didn't even consider going hunting. Look like it totally paid off for you though. Congrats! The weather has been pretty nasty lately, but I can see that sometimes it's best to just brave the elements and you can bring home a nice haul. Thanks for the post!

Thanks! Was definitely a good trip! Was a little unsafe though, wet pieces of sediment were falling to the ground spontaneously so do be safe if you go when it Rain (and don’t stand under overhangs). Not necessarily a disclaimer for you but for the thousands of non-members that view this forum every day.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@WhodamanHD excellent looking Cowshark tooth!

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason