Big bone piece!

Max-fossils

Hi all, 

Last weekend, on the beach of Wassenaar, not far from the Zandmotor, I found several things. Surprisingly a lot more than I expected (I usually never hunt here), but I think that there was a big storm which brought lots of new fossils and other things to the shore. 

This is was one of them: a big piece of bone. It looks like it’s the end section of a limb of some kind. 

I can’t tell whether it’s modern or fossil... The looks of it scream modern, but somehow the burn test seems to say it’s fossil... :headscratch: Note: if it is indeed fossil, it’s likely from the late Pleistocene, about 40’000 years old. 

Well, what animal do you guys think this bone piece came from? What part of the skeleton would it represent? And would you say it’s fossil or modern?

Looking forward to your answers! :D

Max

00040B6F-9022-44E1-943E-91CA0C315CEF.jpeg

36BAC241-175C-4B07-BB6A-011DBC85F6E8.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3830F0C9-B92F-434C-8DCD-E413D083D68A.jpeg

7938A378-4D6F-4A76-985B-2A21FF8AB053.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

This one looks like the distal end of a humerus with cut marks on the surface. I think it's modern. :)

5a7cd053dc944_Humerus1.thumb.jpg.613f6e2d3c3771f6a3c9edb65f90875b.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree definitely a distal humerus from a large mammal, and modern enough that somebody has used a tool (probably a saw) to sever it from the rest of the bone. 

• I found this Informative 1

@abyssunder @TXV24 thanks for the help (and sorry for the late reply).

I did the burn test again and this time it did indicate that the bone is indeed modern. Must have still been a little wet the previous time.

What animal do you guys think it came from? Cow? Horse?

Max Derème

I suppose cow.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder @TXV24 okay thanks again!

Max Derème