Small bone fragment with possible predation marks

Max-fossils

Hi all,

So this little bone piece was found at the beach of Wassenaar, Netherlands; it’s from the late Pleistocene, 40’000 years old. 

I got two questions on this one:

Is it possible to say anything more about this bone fragment (eg what animal/what part of the skeleton)?

In the last picture, are those predation marks? I can take better pictures if  needed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Max

8140CF36-7C39-4215-AAD3-EF39BE604BE8.jpeg

D37B9682-CBF7-46B6-AB83-85D8FB17DF7D.jpeg

E5AC0E41-D63E-4A59-9A44-F534020473EC.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

201F39A5-1373-4A17-877C-77FA75DBDFBA.jpeg

60FC0324-525F-4B03-AAA8-6E97B0FCB30B.jpeg

7E5F9E7E-5E82-4600-9B7B-38A4AAB548D3.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Is this from a marine mammal? Does not resemble any shark bites I’ve seen, these are usually thin and sharp (if you know what I mean. Though not applicable here (too small), many I’ve seen are slightly curved cuts. But I am no expert so wait for other opinions.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 2/9/2018 at 12:16 AM, WhodamanHD said:

Is this from a marine mammal? Does not resemble any shark bites I’ve seen, these are usually thin and sharp (if you know what I mean. Though not applicable here (too small), many I’ve seen are slightly curved cuts. But I am no expert so wait for other opinions.

Marine mammal is possible, but it is much more likely from a terrestrial mammal. I have to agree that I don't really see how a shark could leave a trace like this. But I was thinking that the predation was probably made by something like a wolf/cave lion/hyena perhaps?

Sorry for the late answer by the way...

Max Derème

On 2/11/2018 at 1:24 PM, Max-fossils said:

Marine mammal is possible, but it is much more likely from a terrestrial mammal. I have to agree that I don't really see how a shark could leave a trace like this. But I was thinking that the predation was probably made by something like a wolf/cave lion/hyena perhaps?

Sorry for the late answer by the way...

I’m out of my depth then. I thought it kinda looked like a whale phalange.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Neat predation! I wouldn't say shark, cause it looks like puncture marks than a shark's signature scratches. Here's a whale vert I have that has shark predation:

IMG_20171231_163826.thumb.jpg.3dbb1e3a624962ca9cd081b0928718d8.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

16 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Could it be the glenoid fossa from a skull ?

Are you suggesting that the whole bone is the fossa or that the "predation marks" are the fossa?

Max Derème

29 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Are you suggesting that the whole bone is the fossa or that the "predation marks" are the fossa?

Just the feature shown in the last photo..

It seems too 'at peace' with the bone texture to be pathological.  It could have healed, but to the left there appears to be a foramen as would be expected at such an articulation.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Just the feature shown in the last photo..

It seems too 'at peace' with the bone texture to be pathological.  It could have healed, but to the left there appears to be a foramen as would be expected at such an articulation.

Ah okay. Interesting point, I hadn't thought of this at all! Thanks a lot

Max Derème

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2018 at 8:30 PM, Plax said:

damage from passing through the dredge pipe?

(Sorry for the month-late reply, I am only seeing this now :wacko:)

Don't think so... Well it's possible, but I don't think that's it.

Max Derème