Fossilized critters downtown Charleston

WhodamanHD

Hey that’s cheating!:P

Very nice museum!

Brett Breakin' Rocks
50 minutes ago, Lee Taylor said:

Found some fossilized critters downtown Charleston SC

Museum of Natural History - College of Charleston

That is our very own Bobby Boessenecker @boesse .  He is a museum paleontologist there .... the exhibits are amazing for such a small museum.  The toothed whales and dolphins are especially impressive.

Cheers,

B

Lee Taylor

I really enjoy the fossils, Natural History, and Paleontology found in the earth. I think there is a section in the Charleston SC Museum. I plan to visit there also. Looking forward to seeing what they have

Lee Taylor

I found a HUGE fossil excavation in Bakersfield CA. Last year I was in the area on business so I visited Ernst Quarries. The owners father was a SERIOUS fossil hunter. He owned a LOT of land and dug giant holes in the earth.

Brett Breakin' Rocks

8 hours ago, Lee Taylor said:

I really enjoy the fossils, Natural History, and Paleontology found in the earth. I think there is a section in the Charleston SC Museum. I plan to visit there also. Looking forward to seeing what they have

Hey Lee ... if your interested. You may already know about Bobby's blog but it has a wealth of information on South Carolina and beyond.  A great resource. 

https://coastalpaleo.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Brett

Boesse

Nice photos! That is indeed our museum - it's a great place to work at! And Brett, thanks for the mention of my blog! I'm intending to post more often. Just posted a new writeup yesterday on giant dermal denticles from Charleston.

Shellseeker
7 hours ago, Boesse said:

Nice photos! That is indeed our museum - it's a great place to work at! And Brett, thanks for the mention of my blog! I'm intending to post more often. Just posted a new writeup yesterday on giant dermal denticles from Charleston.

Excellent Article, Bobby.  I found this large one on New Years Day along with another.  I thought it was large at 51x45x19 mm. I do not ever expect to know the species on these... but what a joy to find one (or 2 in my case).

IMG_0637.jpg

Lee Taylor
On 2/9/2018 at 7:19 PM, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

A great resource.

Thank you. I perused it. I recently visited Ernst Quarries so the info on Rob's father was interesting to me.

Brett Breakin' Rocks
10 hours ago, Boesse said:

Yes,

I gave the denticles post a look after Ashby's donation was mentioned on FB ....  interesting as always. Funny how some of the most interesting finds are always the ones where we pick it up thinking it probably is just a bit of rock or chunk of bone and are surprised it is something quite unique.

Thanks,

Brett