Real Eurypterids?

Bone guy

They do not look right to Me. Look like they are painted. There are little dots with a darker circle around them. The dots (without the darker ring) can be seen in the matrix also. 

This makes Me think the "dots" are less absorbent than the rest of the matrix, causing the paint to pool around the dots.

Also the 4 perfect specimens in such close proximity seems unlikely.

Others may disagree.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

As our cohort has stated, these appear to be painted on representations of eurypterids.  It seems to be an interesting watercolor on shale.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It is very, very difficult to find an Eurypterid that contains the telson (tail) that is well preserved and sharp, then imagine finding a complete specimen, which is even rarer.

I see a plaque that defies the whole law of murphy :ninja:, with three complete "specimens", but which have no texture whatsoever, which is completely atypical in the world of fossils. Little or nothing is real on this plate, it seems to me merely a painting, and as such deserves only and only artistic value.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

16 hours ago, Bone guy said:

[redacted]

The description info provided by the seller is not deceptive.  The large print clearly states: REPLICA

IMG_0737.thumb.PNG.976c5356cb54b94fcebfac917f951092.PNG

IMG.thumb.jpg.23c0eca63c2de9c060997eca562f533b.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Very poor form to accuse someone of selling fakes when they clearly declare the sale item is a replica.  @piranha, thanks for pointing out the correct story on this.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Some real ones for comparison....

image.jpeg.47058f141b69d807ff846dfa77743cd9.jpegImage result for EurypteridsImage result for Eurypterids

Notice that they all have multiple appendages.

Yup, lack of multiple appendages is a good argument.

Yes, I agree it looks like a painting.

Aside from lack of multiple appendages which is a big red flag, there is lots of evidence of respreading of pigment. In water coloring, when one area partially  dries, and you reapply new wet paint in a way that contacts a previously painted area, the water can cause problems to the previously painted portions. It can rehydrate a previous portion or wick water in a way that's hard to control. 

Sometimes thinning the dye in a localized way that you didn't intend.

i see numerous examples of this in your photo. Check out places where  the paddles meet the main body. Sometimes there is a boundary, sometimes not. And sometimes it seems the appendage has "wicked water into the main body because an area was not thoroughly dry yet. It looks like pigment has spread or diluted from a newly painted area into an older painted area that was it was not fully dried. But really, lack of apeandages as well as lots of instances of lack of symmetry in paddles on the same animal suggest this is art work to me. .... and pretty good art work I suspect.

IMG_9673.PNG

IMG_9675.PNG

IMG_9676.PNG

10 hours ago, Ginkgojerry said:

Yes, I agree it looks like a painting.

Aside from lack of multiple appendages which is a big red flag, there is lots of evidence of respreading of pigment. In water coloring, when one area partially  dries, and you reapply new wet paint in a way that contacts a previously painted area, the water can cause problems to the previously painted portions. It can rehydrate a previous portion or wick water in a way that's hard to control. 

Sometimes thinning the dye in a localized way that you didn't intend.

i see numerous examples of this in your photo. Check out places where  the paddles meet the main body. Sometimes there is a boundary, sometimes not. And sometimes it seems the appendage has "wicked water into the main body because an area was not thoroughly dry yet. It looks like pigment has spread or diluted from a newly painted area into an older painted area that was it was not fully dried. But really, lack of apeandages as well as lots of instances of lack of symmetry in paddles on the same animal suggest this is art work to me. .... and pretty good art work I suspect.

In fact our friend @piranha has already discovered that the seller was not intended to deceive anyone, because the seller himself warns in the advertisement that it is a "replica."

So it was all a misunderstanding and there was no attempt to deceive anyone.

03.PNG

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

It's beyond me why people post without even bothering to read the thread. :wacko:

Don

But it is so much easier that way!:PB)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

It's beyond me why people post without even bothering to read the thread. :wacko:

Don

And they also usually post if it's real or not without bothering to visualize the seller's description. :blink:

03.PNG

The initial comments were based on a picture only without any reference to a description. We were asked if they were real or not.  The answers were given on that question alone.

If the ad description stated they were replicas then the question should not have been asked In the first place since the poster already knew the answer.

Those that replied to a question of real or not need not be tongue lashed for answering.

My two cents and a farthing thrown in  for good measure (That last bit was for my buddies across the pond).

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

The initial comments were based on a picture only without any reference to a description. We were asked if they were real or not.  The answers were given on that question alone.

If the ad description stated they were replicas then the question should not have been asked In the first place since the poster already knew the answer.

Those that replied to a question of real or not need not be tongue lashed for answering. My two cents and a farthing for good measure.

I keep wondering if it was just a test...

03.PNG

3 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I keep wondering if it was just a test...

To what point, pray tell?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

8 minutes ago, caldigger said:

To what point, pray tell?

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

Or a newbie's mistake.:headscratch:

It may have been a rookie error.

But I find it strange that a buyer does not read the description of a specimen he wants to buy, after all, everyone wants to know the smallest details of a possible investment ... :blink:

Another thing that I find strange is when someone fires a powder keg, and does not stay to see Bummm, simply fades away...  :wacko:

03.PNG

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Yup, my bad ... sorry