A Few Interesting Little Pieces

DaniBandani

I went through a bag of bits and pieces from a year or two ago last night and found a few I was curious about. Any thoughts? All found in Venice FL. 

2566EC63-F649-4F25-8654-ABB477E97F07.jpeg

2D68F71E-9DC3-4634-93E5-5E0FE8DBE908.jpeg

7D1932F9-AB63-4C3D-998A-70549D2EB66D.jpeg

For the first one (#1), I'm leaning toward a very worn fish skull neurocranium, something similar to Pagrus, exemplified below.

0178.thumb.jpg.0301daae70f4eb62c4fe39123d627e37.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

One looks like a worn skull element like possibly a sea robin, two looks like a tooth of some sort and 3 looks like a partial hastalis “mako”

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

So neat! I have always thought #1 was cute and almost reminded me of a little face. Lol!  Off to do more research on skull bones! 

I really wish that Mako were whole. Such nice color and a really neat tooth. 

40 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

One looks like a worn skull element like possibly a sea robin, two looks like a tooth of some sort and 3 looks like a partial hastalis “mako”

Just not going to let go of the Mako nomenclature for the hastalis are we Jeff?

I know, you're just waiting for it to come back around to the Mako side again aren't you.

Atta boy, stand your ground!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

Just not going to let go of the Mako nomenclature for the hastalis are we Jeff?

I know, you're just waiting for it to come back around to the Mako side again aren't you.

Atta boy, stand your ground!

lol, it'll always be a Mako to me Doren:D

5 hours ago, caterpillar said:

What do you think about neural plate of turtle for the one?

26 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

That’s what I thought 

the first pic with the two lines running down it are what make me think fish skull:)

25 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

the first pic with the two lines running down it are what make me think fish skull:)

Ah, I get your point. Just looked at a couple of my turtle scutes and they only have one central rib. :) 

I’m struggling to find examples of neural plates and fish/bird skulls that look like this. If any of you know of a good example, I’d love to see it. I can spot some resemblance in the photo posted above by @abyssunder, but can’t seem to find other examples of Pagrus hyneus online. 

45 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

That was my first thought also, Jeff. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

17 hours ago, DaniBandani said:

I’m struggling to find examples of neural plates and fish/bird skulls that look like this. If any of you know of a good example, I’d love to see it. I can spot some resemblance in the photo posted above by @abyssunder, but can’t seem to find other examples of Pagrus hyneus online. 

If I compare it side-by-side with Harry's specimens, I can see a good resemblance (although the specimen in question is in a very weathered condition).

2566EC63-F649-4F25-8654-ABB477E97F07.jpeg.37b736711b5720b8ad9ae0daa0318b8a.thumb.jpg.38fda22921f2bb4637f3d46f4c2d041e.jpgpost-42-0-53905300-1420504285.jpg.38f795d179b21952bd687e70b227d850.jpg2D68F71E-9DC3-4634-93E5-5E0FE8DBE908.jpeg.6399e422e7c444f237d31e96b43197f0.thumb.jpg.81bed95ebf743374f617ea4a0f24d6dc.jpgpost-42-0-66426500-1420504329.thumb.jpg.1040566d1e68b7ac3b9b24c68a8563bb.jpg

comparative pictures from here:

Thomas Mann

My Library

Beautiful!! I think you are right! Thank you guys. This board has such a wealth of knowledge and I’m so thankful that you’re all kind enough to take the time to help us new folks out. 

You're welcome! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library