Pennsylvanian bivalve name change

BobWill

I'm having trouble verifying  which is the new name for a bivalve we find at Jacksboro Texas, Aviculopinna percuata or Pteronites percuata. Any help would be great.

Thanks Herb. That's what I've been saying but I've got someone thinking it was the other way around so I'm looking for the paper that made the change.

The correct spelling is 'peracuta'.  Here is the recent paper suggesting the new name combination: Aviculopinna peracuta

Anelli, L.E., Rocha-Campos, A.C., & Simões, M.G. (2006)

Pennsylvanian pteriomorphian bivalves from the Piauí Formation, Parnaíba Basin, Brazil.

Journal of Paleontology, 80(6):1125-1141   PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2
3 hours ago, piranha said:

The correct spelling is 'peracuta'.  Here is the recent paper suggesting the new name combination: Aviculopinna peracuta

Anelli, L.E., Rocha-Campos, A.C., & Simões, M.G. (2006)

Pennsylvanian pteriomorphian bivalves from the Piauí Formation, Parnaíba Basin, Brazil.

Journal of Paleontology, 80(6):1125-1141   PDF LINK

Thanks for the link. Yeah I noticed I had been spelling it wrong before than forgot. Maybe they will agree to change the name so I don't have so much trouble :)

This paper also reminds me of a couple of questions that I know have been discussed on the forum before but I need a reminder. When you see a question mark after the genus name what does that signify? The other thing I think I understand but would like to verify. What is the message when another genus name is added in parentheses?

40 minutes ago, BobWill said:

When you see a question mark after the genus name what does that signify?

Quote:

"We understand, however, that the Paleozoic Pinnidae are in need of a complete reinvestigation; hence we only cautiously designate the material described here under Meekopinna and Aviculopinna."

40 minutes ago, BobWill said:

What is the message when another genus name is added in parentheses?

Parentheses added to an additional genus are used to designate a subgenus.

Parentheses added to an additional genus with equal (=) sign designate a synonym.

Parentheses added to an author citation indicate it is not the original taxonomic placement. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • 1 year later...

More on Genus Meekopinna and Genus Aviculopinna

This is of interest to me as well because I was calling local sea pens Pteronites. However in this publication, it appears there needed to be a distinction between the ones found in England and North America (and later in the paper linked above, South America)

I personally know little about them yet, I'm just connecting the dots while researching.

I am guessing I'll be calling mine Aviculopinna sp. instead of Pteronites.

• 3 years later...
cngodles

And, even more information. This just came out last week.

Yancey, T., Amler, M., Raczyński, P., & Brandt, S. (2022). Rebuilding the foundation of late Paleozoic pinnid bivalve study (family Pinnidae). Journal of Paleontology, 1-12. doi:10.1017/jpa.2022.55

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/rebuilding-the-foundation-of-late-paleozoic-pinnid-bivalve-study-family-pinnidae/8490ABEEAB8336AE73A36D551164159C

Essentially, Aviculopinna is limited to Permian strata, and Pteronites is a smaller genus, not a member of the Pinnidae, and belongs in the early Carboniferous. It casts out the original synonymy of Aviculopinna and Pteronites using new material and explanations on the differences between the two genera.

• I found this Informative 2
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2022 at 1:21 AM, cngodles said:

And, even more information. This just came out last week.

Yancey, T., Amler, M., Raczyński, P., & Brandt, S. (2022). Rebuilding the foundation of late Paleozoic pinnid bivalve study (family Pinnidae). Journal of Paleontology, 1-12. doi:10.1017/jpa.2022.55

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/rebuilding-the-foundation-of-late-paleozoic-pinnid-bivalve-study-family-pinnidae/8490ABEEAB8336AE73A36D551164159C

Essentially, Aviculopinna is limited to Permian strata, and Pteronites is a smaller genus, not a member of the Pinnidae, and belongs in the early Carboniferous. It casts out the original synonymy of Aviculopinna and Pteronites using new material and explanations on the differences between the two genera.

I completely missed seeing this reply from last month. Thanks for the link. Unless I'm missing something this concludes that all species of Aviculopinna are Permian. Since my specimens are Pennsylvanian that leaves them nameless at the present. The paper mentions Meekopinna but does not discuss characters for comparison. Hopefully this will be resolved soon and my labels with all the crossed-out names can get a final correction.

DPS Ammonite
43 minutes ago, BobWill said:

I completely missed seeing this reply from last month. Thanks for the link. Unless I'm missing something this concludes that all species of Aviculopinna are Permian. Since my specimens are Pennsylvanian that leaves them nameless at the present. The paper mentions Meekopinna but does not discuss characters for comparison. Hopefully this will be resolved soon and my labels with all the crossed-out names can get a final correction.

Bob, if you have a good Pennsylvanian Pteronites from Jacksboro or other part of Texas, show them to Yancey who is in Texas and see what they should be called. McKenzie in the Color Guide to Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas calls them Pteronites.

• Thank You 1