Really weird skull?

Malone

Hi @Malone

@BobWill has just beaten me to it, this is only the braincase, incorporating the parietal, squamosal, and I think part of the frontal bone which is why there are no orbits.. The baso-occiptal bone and foramen magnum, where the spinal chord connects to the skull and brain, are also visible.  It has a small saggital crest running along the top of the skull so I think it's likely a mammal, perhaps a deer?

Hope this helps,

Theo 

8 minutes ago, BobWill said:

The front of this skull where the eyes would be is missing. I doesn't look like a fossil. Maybe bird.

IMG_2742.JPG

2 minutes ago, TXV24 said:

Hi, 

@Bobwill has just beaten me to it, this is only the braincase, incorporating the parietal, squamosal, and I think part of the frontal bone. The baso-occiptal bone and foramen magnum, where the spinal chord connects to the skull and brain, are also visible.  It has a small saggital crest running along the top of the skull so I think it's likely a mammal, perhaps a deer?

Hope this helps,

Theo 

Yeah but I have never seen anything like it! I do more research using the terminology you described. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

Looks recent. Perhaps try the burn test to confirm that for certain.

It is light enough that I'm pretty sure it's not a fossil I just never saw this before.

7 minutes ago, TXV24 said:

@Malone The 'venom sacks' are known as the auditory bullae they are essentially bones that enclose the inner and middle ears. 

Where does the lower jaw attach?

@Malone The lower jaw attaches at the mandibular fossa, in the region where you can see 3 'holes' on the underside of your skull. The saggital crest on the top of the braincase also acts as the anchor for the temporalis muscle allowing the jaw to open and close. 

• I found this Informative 1

@Malone Ahaha thanks but unfortunately not! I collect paleogene mammals and other vertebrates so I'm just used to the different parts of the skull and skeleton etc. 

56 minutes ago, TXV24 said:

@Malone Ahaha thanks but unfortunately not! I collect paleogene mammals and other vertebrates so I'm just used to the different parts of the skull and skeleton etc. 

Very knowledgeable thanks and I really wasn't kidding .

5 minutes ago, Malone said:

Very knowledgeable thank wand I really wasn't kidding 

Text errors didn't look before I sent it. Meant to say thank you and I really wasn't kidding.

Modern, possibly Trash Panda.  (Racoon) 

vxftemcxfsiz.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Malone said:

Really cool picture!

I'm going send that to one of my granddaughters she will love that! Did you take that picture?