Dino bone ring

thelivingdead531

I found this ring for sale online that claims it was made from a polished dinosaur bone. I feel like this is a long shot, but can anyone verify if it looks like authentic? The seller says it was originally purchased from Dino Fossils and comes with a COA, but I know anyone can make a COA these days lol. Thanks!

E97FB0B2-30A0-4774-B7AA-18DC17610517.jpeg

7DFCAD7C-4ED5-410E-98C8-2BEFD605B11B.jpeg

B67C1B57-CA1F-4E3C-9067-F041B131DAD9.jpeg

FAD38841-A59F-450A-89CE-0ECEE9665272.jpeg

I've seen prettier pieces online. :unsure: 

Also, once dinosaur bone is polished it probably can't always be identified as such. :( 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Oh I’ll send a COA too if you want :P 

I would expect nothing less from you. :rofl: 

46 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I've seen prettier pieces online. :unsure: 

Also, once dinosaur bone is polished it probably can't always be identified as such. :( 

I haven’t done much research into these types of jewelry, this was the first that caught my eye. I like the vintage style of it though. I was given an ammonite necklace by a coworker for Christmas, and I didn’t even think to look at rings. If you have any reliable sources for fossil rings, I would love to hear about them. Thank you!

It does look like the agatized "dino" bone that I have seen.

Here is a picture that shows a piece of polished dino bone from Utah...

DSCF5159.thumb.JPG.e0058f42a02f8dbda7856519d40f8f34.JPG

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The ring picture brings to mind polished, fossil coral. Much more impressive (to my eye) gembone is available. The pendant posted by ynot is a good example.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I will not deny the very rare beauty of the pendant that our friend ynot has shown us, but even though it is so beautiful, there is still doubt that the bone comes from a dinosaur, since it may have been made from any other type of fossil reptile Utah. I agree with Fossildude19, after polishing, the identification becomes very complicated and difficult (not to say almost impossible). That being the case, there simply is no reliable source for acquiring such a ring, for this reason I also agree with JohnBrewer, that is, you provide a bone of your confidence for the making of a ring.

But even so, pendant of ynot, is infinitely looks more like what I would expect from a legitimate polished dinosaur bone, than this ring that looks more like a polished coral. :fistbump:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Yeah, I was also getting a fossil coral vibe from the images with the dark circular rings reminiscent of coral polyps. I could not see any actual septa so I'd not claim with any confidence that it was fossil coral but it was where my mind went when I saw the photos. I have seen a few pieces of dino bone but they are quite varied and without a depth of knowledge as to the forms polished dino bone could take, I'd not bet more than lunch money that this was not in fact dinosaur bone.

I'd say that if you like the jewelry and the price was not prohibitive that you purchase it and enjoy it for what it is (or claims to be). As mentioned above, if you truly wanted a piece that was verified dino-certain, then you would want to start with a jewelry grade piece of guaranteed dino bone and "roll your own".

Cool looking ring (whatever it actually is).

Cheers.

-Ken

There is lots of agatized dinosaur bone that comes out of Utah and is polished and made into jewelry.  Its very important to know the source to insure you are getting the right item.  You see dinosaur bone jewelry sold at shows like the one here in Tucson.  I would not be surprised if that merchant was not here shopping for his store.

5a80383753cb1_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.e21eb5cafeb1393ac64cd7c6b0b85ea9.jpg

I've seen Dinosaur bone and meteorite rings together, very cool idea. Seem to be overpriced though.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Thanks for all of the responses! I looked up other examples of dinosaur bone rings and they all look different from this piece, and actually a lot nicer. It’s still an interesting piece though. I appreciate everyone’s information and knowledge that they’ve passed on. 

Archived