How It Works

Gatorman

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Edited by JohnJ
Edited Nov. 22, 2015
  • I found this Informative 1

• 5 months later...

Do non-vert fossils include plants?

Search in ways to make discoveries, discover in ways to keep on searching. -Augustine

yes, non-verts include plants. :)

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

To clear up any confusion and prevent the misuse of a cobbled together word, the Non-Vertebrate contest will be renamed using Invertebrate/Plant. Nothing but the name has changed regarding the contest. Sorry for any misunderstanding. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 1 month later...

Is each member limited to only one entry in each contest?

No. If you have more than one outstanding find, then post it. However, it seems to make sense that you would know which is your best find, and more than one entry could spread the votes in a way that could keep either from winning. One entry per contest would have a better chance. :)

• 2 months later...

Just a thought. Everyone who enters the competitions, thinks their specimen is worthy of entry. Why do a few have to pick what they think is worthy and discard the rest? I know only a certain amount of entries can be added to a poll but why not, if there are more than the max allowed, split the poll?

ie, Poll for January Vert fossil, parts 1 and 2, etc.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Just a thought. Everyone who enters the competitions, thinks their specimen is worthy of entry. Why do a few have to pick what they think is worthy and discard the rest? I know only a certain amount of entries can be added to a poll but why not, if there are more than the max allowed, split the poll?

ie, Poll for January Vert fossil, parts 1 and 2, etc.

Since we started the new contest format, we have never reached the limit (not sure exactly what it is, but it's a lot) of the Forum software for entries. All valid entries have been included in the contests since the change. :)

but what is going to happen if it's exceeded?

From the rules,

"The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff".

KOF, Bill.

but what is going to happen if it's exceeded?

From the rules,

"The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff".

Given that it will be a lot of entries, with the statistical probability that only a handful would be challenging each other, then exactly what the rules state above will go into effect. In this unlikely scenario, if someone's fossil does not "make the cut", then they may have better luck in a future contest. ;)

OK, I don't usually enter anyway. I was just wondering. :) (seems a bit unfair though)

Edit: my mistake, there were 5 including tracer's/tj's, which, on further reading, he didn't actually enter anyway. ???????

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

Um... what if you find something decent on the 31st but can't post them since you don't get home till tomorrow, or if you find something one the 1st and wan't to post? Can you?

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.”

-Ronald Reagan

Um... what if you find something decent on the 31st but can't post them since you don't get home till tomorrow, or if you find something one the 1st and wan't to post? Can you?

ff - since it is impossible to know if any of our members are unable to post a last minute find, only entries that were made in the official entry thread will be considered. Just like in a fishing contest, if you don't make it to the weigh-in on time, it doesn't matter if you caught the biggest.... ;)

• 6 months later...

What about the following.

I collect about 40/50 kilos of sandy shellbed, every October. The material has to be sieved to 0.5mm at site, (part of the conditions for collecting at the site), and all the residue dried and sorted at home. I have managed to get through about 4kilos since Oct'. If I find something in there, worthy of the competition, in a later month, ie actually found in Dec/Jan, etc, could it be entered in that months competition? As the 'only just prepped' fossils can.

KOF, Bill.

Bill, that scenario is completely within the letter and spirit of the rules :)

Bring 'em on!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cheers Chas,

It'll be a few days before I get a chance to look through any more, and the type of fossil, tiny mammal teeth, I will be looking for, are few and far between.

Like this for instance, found a good few years ago and previously posted.

Diacodexis sp.. about 2-3mm. I've lost the details, (size), and it's now in the NHM, national collection.

post-45-0-73416900-1296923954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

How or when can I post a find?

on the site is a note that I can not start a new topic or must I be a meber for a longer time?

I am a member for a month or so.

Greetings Erik

How or when can I post a find?

on the site is a note that I can not start a new topic or must I be a meber for a longer time?

I am a member for a month or so.

Greetings Erik

You should be cleared for takeoff by now; are you getting this message when you try to post? If so, in which forum or topic are you having the problem?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

You should be cleared for takeoff by now; are you getting this message when you try to post? If so, in which forum or topic are you having the problem?

Hi Auspex,

In this topic I see that I can not start a new one.

Erik

Hi Auspex,

In this topic I see that I can not start a new one.

Erik

Ah, I understand. Some of the categories that are intended for rules and similar Forum "business" are reserved for the purpose. You should be able to start topics in any of the discussion categories.

• 1 month later...

Question, the rules ask for a common or scientific name. I have an entry that was found and prepped in the same month but has not been properly identified. I am waiting for an answer from our State Museum. There is the possibility that this may be something new or at least never previously reported from our area. I would like to wait for a proper identification which may be in a different month. To be fair, where does this one fall?

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Is it beyond describing with a common name?

Is it beyond describing with a common name?

Very fair point, a turtle is a turtle regardless of age :P

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

On 4/23/2011 at 10:55 PM, fossilsofnj said:

Very fair point, a turtle is a turtle regardless of age :P

or even "critter" may qualify as a "common name" :P