How It Works

Gatorman

Very fair point, a turtle is a turtle regardless of age :P

:P

True enough, but they can be as different as one John is from another. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 8 months later...

Ok, I wanted to enter my find that I found on the 31st. I initially thought I found the fossil on New Years day but reviewed my post and was found on the 31st. So now, it is officially not eligible for the month of January, but too late for December. There has to be a way to make those finds eligible so that it is fair for all. One could have an excellent find at the end of the month but not be eligible for this award. You do extend the voting til something like the 6th of the next month but the entries are already decided and the voting process has already started. I would suggest not voting until sometime the next month so that all finds for the month have ample time to be submitted. Then the selection can begin for the winner for the find of the month. All finds found at end of the month will never have a chance no matter how spectacular they may be. Just sayin... My comments are made with all due respect. :)

Mudduck

Mudduck, I'm glad you are enjoying The Forum and your comments are appreciated. However, finds made at the end of the month are not excluded as long as they are submitted by roughly midnight CST of the date noted in the Entry Topic. The Poll Topics are prepared a few hours earlier and toggled off until midnight to allow adequate time for late entries. As for your shark tooth, it is unfortunate you were unable to take advantage of the 12 hours available that day (based on the time of your first post) to enter it into the contest. I wish you had thought of it earlier. The last two entries were made a few hours before the topic was closed. I hope you make new finds to enter in the future.

Ok, lesson learned. However, I will point out that the item that I wanted to enter was that of the shark tooth. Until Jan. 1st, I did not have an ID on that tooth. If I had entered it on the 31st by the deadline, it would have been listed as a common name "Shark Tooth". What made it a great find is after it was ID'd and then it became a very rare find. Then what? Not much one can do. Just throwing it out there because if it happened once, it will more than likely happen again.

Ok, lesson learned. However, I will point out that the item that I wanted to enter was that of the shark tooth. Until Jan. 1st, I did not have an ID on that tooth. If I had entered it on the 31st by the deadline, it would have been listed as a common name "Shark Tooth". What made it a great find is after it was ID'd and then it became a very rare find. Then what? Not much one can do. Just throwing it out there because if it happened once, it will more than likely happen again.

Len, what I would suggest in the future (in case you are facing an identical situation) is go ahead and enter your find, the admins and mods will narrow the submissions down and if it gets ID'd after submitting it then they would add the ID to it.

Good luck and get your sifter built soon okay. we can head out to that one site I was telling you about but you're gonna need a sifter.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

• 6 months later...

What if we still don't know what it is that was found? :blush:

I would suggest posting it in the id section of the forum to get help. Usually someone can help with the id. Then post it in the contest.

I would suggest posting it in the id section of the forum to get help. Usually someone can help with the id. Then post it in the contest.

Thanks. I've done that and it is still a mystery. It probably will remain so for a while and I need all the help I can muster..

It is at; http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/30660-my-1st-mystery/

Oh well. :)

Edited by Roadrunner

• 8 months later...

I just received a piece that (by unanimous request) I had someone else do the prep. Does that disqualify me?

I just received a piece that (by unanimous request) I had someone else do the prep. Does that disqualify me?

You can enter it if you were the finder and in the month that the prep was completed.

:)

• 4 months later...

We would like to introduce another qualification to the current rules. (Please see rule #5.) In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. The change just affects any personal finds made before the month of the contest which had significant preparation completed within the month of the contest. So, please remember to take photos before you prep. ;)

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

So I have a question. What if you have two fossils from the same animal and they are prepped at the same time. Can they be entered together as a pair? For instance I have two ceratopsian ribs (yes, they appear to be from the same animal) that I am almost done prepping. I dug them out in July this past summer, over the last couple of weeks I started to prep both of them. One was in rather sad shape and the other was in decent shape. If I finish prepping both before this month ends, can they be entered together as they are from the same animal?

So I have a question. What if you have two fossils from the same animal and they are prepped at the same time. Can they be entered together as a pair? For instance I have two ceratopsian ribs (yes, they appear to be from the same animal) that I am almost done prepping. I dug them out in July this past summer, over the last couple of weeks I started to prep both of them. One was in rather sad shape and the other was in decent shape. If I finish prepping both before this month ends, can they be entered together as they are from the same animal?

They should have indisputable association (identifiable photographs of their proximity in the field). Otherwise, the claim of association cannot be established for the purposes of the contest. Pre-prep photos are required since they were not found this month.

If you don't have the photographs to establish "association", then one of the ribs could be entered with the appropriate "before" and "after" prep images.

;)

Ok, thank you. I'll just have to enter one rib in then as when I was removing them from the site I never got a pic of them together.

• 8 months later...

I have just read this thread again,,, about entering fossils for The fossil of the month and I don't see any guide lines for submitting things like trace fossils,,such as ghost shrimp burrows....Would that be something I would enter in the invertebrate category or are they not eligible.

Thank you for your help

Tony

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I have just read this thread again,,, about entering fossils for The fossil of the month and I don't see any guide lines for submitting things like trace fossils,,such as ghost shrimp burrows....Would that be something I would enter in the invertebrate category or are they not eligible.

Thank you for your help

Tony

Invertebrate trace fossils would certainly be entered into IPFOTM. Vertebrate tracks have been entered into VFOTM. If the rare occasion occurs when the trace origin is not generally understood, we will decide based on the known geologic environment.

Invertebrate trace fossils would certainly be entered into IPFOTM. Vertebrate tracks have been entered into VFOTM. If the rare occasion occurs when the trace origin is not generally understood, we will decide based on the known geologic environment.

Thanks again.....

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

• 10 months later...

Hi. I recently found 3 fish bones which are each in a different piece of shale but I think they're very likely from the same fish; they were found next to each other in the same rock layer and they look very similar. I usually have to split at least 50 pieces of shale to have a decent chance of finding a fish fossil so the chances of 3 similar bones from the same part of the fish (most likely the head) to be next to each other would be almost impossible if they were'nt from the same fish.

Would all 3 bones count as one entry or would they each count as one entry?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi. I recently found 3 fish bones which are each in a different piece of shale but I think they're very likely from the same fish; they were found next to each other in the same rock layer and they look very similar. I usually have to split at least 50 pieces of shale to have a decent chance of finding a fish fossil so the chances of 3 similar bones from the same part of the fish (most likely the head) to be next to each other would be almost impossible if they were'nt from the same fish.

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel,

Why not choose the largest one?

If you make 3 separate entries, you are just watering down/splitting the vote further.

I think choosing one would be the way to go.

I believe they would have had to be found in association with each other to count as one entry.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks,

Daniel

Tim is right; they would have to be found in direct association to be counted as one entry. A photo displaying that association in the ground or, in a single piece of matrix, would be qualifying documentation. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I entered one of my finds this month but yesterday I found a fossil which is better but similar; can I remove my entry and replace it with my new find, or would it be against the rules?

Thanks,

Daniel