Anomalocarid or Triobite?

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Hey, does anyone know what this is? I got it in my rock collection from a lady down the street. It was her dads and he had identified it as a trilobite from New York state, but I'm suspicious as to if it is actually a trilobite. I looked it up, but I couldn't find anything. It also doesn't appear to have legs, which I'm pretty sure that trilobites have legs. It looks like an anomalocarid to me. Does anyone know what this is?

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

Its an Elrathia kingii trilobite. Most trilobites aren't preserved with legs. I don't think its from New York though, looks like its from Utah (U-Dig quarry?)

beaten to it! haha

5 minutes ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

Oh, okay. Pretty cool. I guess it lost its head shield.

Not completely, just it's cheeks.

Science term time!

Just some extra info (not completely relevant) the head shield of a trilobite is called a cephalon and this one is missing its lateral border and librigenal field. You learn something new every day.

2E6EC795-41EF-42C0-9B1F-2D8333C32DC5.png

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I Am wondering why is has a bit of his lower left side missing. Is it predation or is it from when the collectors were trying to remove the matrix?

10 minutes ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

I Am wondering why is has a bit of his lower left side missing. Is it predation or is it from when the collectors were trying to remove the matrix?

The piece You have is a shed exoskeleton. There are some parts missing that were lost during the molt.

Here is a whole one....

post-16416-0-83239500-1442960356_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

The piece You have is a shed exoskeleton. There are some parts missing that were lost during the molt.

Here is a whole one....

post-16416-0-83239500-1442960356_thumb.jpg

And i have some too! ! ! !:D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Okay.

23 hours ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

It also doesn't appear to have legs, which I'm pretty sure that trilobites have legs. 

Yes, trilobites had legs. However... It is very rare that legs and antennae of trilobites preserve. There are some very notable examples, such as the Burgess shales in BC, Canada; the Chengjiang Maiotianshan of China; Beecher's trilobite beds in New York; and Bundenbach in Germany. But these are remarkable exceptions, and certainly far from common.

For further reference, please see this pinned topic: 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer