Cloud the Dinosaur King

Bone Fragments and Possible Coprolite

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Some tiny bone fragments from the Harleyville Quarry. Possibly a coprolite as well.

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

caldigger

Son, you need to take pictures much closer to get good ID on them. Some of us old folk don't have telescopic vision.

Please include a ruler or other object to get an idea of size on your pieces.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Sorry, my Iphone camera doesn't have a good zoom feature. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.

caldigger

Try holding the phone closer to the object when snapping the photo.

Kane

Also, do provide a scale for the item, such as (ideally) a ruler. You may also wish to take pictures in more direct, full lighting so that diagnostic details are rendered more identifiable. 

For iPhone and iPad cameras, the ideal distance to take up-close shots is between 3-6 inches from the object. There are a number of apps that can assist in taking macro shots; although these do not increase the pixel count of the device, they can be suitable for optimizing closer shots, if not also providing an additional suite of editing feature options not available in the iPhoto app.

Cloud the Dinosaur King
1 hour ago, Kane said:

Also, do provide a scale for the item, such as (ideally) a ruler. You may also wish to take pictures in more direct, full lighting so that diagnostic details are rendered more identifiable. 

For iPhone and iPad cameras, the ideal distance to take up-close shots is between 3-6 inches from the object. There are a number of apps that can assist in taking macro shots; although these do not increase the pixel count of the device, they can be suitable for optimizing closer shots, if not also providing an additional suite of editing feature options not available in the iPhoto app.

Okay, thanks for the advice. :dinothumb:

Fossildude19

Bone fragments are almost impossible to ID unless there are distinguishing features on it. They look like phosphate pebbles, to me. 

From what I can make out from thesse pictures, I don't see any bone texture. Better pictures might change my mind there. 

You might consider trying to use a magnifying glass held against your phone to get better closeups. 

Also, do it near a window, or outside, to get natural lighting on the item. ;) 

Regards,

Cloud the Dinosaur King
34 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Bone fragments are almost impossible to ID unless there are distinguishing features on it. They look like phosphate pebbles, to me. 

From what I can make out from thesse pictures, I don't see any bone texture. Better pictures might change my mind there. 

You might consider trying to use a magnifying glass held against your phone to get better closeups. 

Also, do it near a window, or outside, to get natural lighting on the item. ;) 

Regards,

Okay.  I have multiple magnifying glasses so I will do that. I took the picture at night, so I will get some pictures of it during the day.