Nautiloid? Mahantango

Hunterthurmond

Interesting piece. There's not a lot to go on but nautiloid is certainly a possibility. It might help eliminate some other candidates to know the size and age. Do you know the name of the formation where it was found or the age of the local strata? You may be able to find this on a geological map of the area.

the age and formation would help a lot.

Bactrites is an other possibility.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

The tapering shell would suggest it is an orthoconic nautiloid. If from the Mahantango, this would place it in the Devonian. As BobWill suggested, you may wish to indicate scale. Also, perhaps take another photo of it under better lighting conditions so that we can better make out the diagnostic details.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I found this at Gore, Va.  I believe it is mahantango.  It was collected from the east end of the road cut, but it is mostly covered with shale chips.  Jasper Burns book describes the cut as middle devonian, mahantango formation.  I will take measurements later today, but roughly 2 inches was the length of the fossil imprint.  I split the shale and it was on both halves.

Could be anything from a weirdly worn spyroceras to a worm burrow.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived