bivalve in a flint

Gen. et sp. indet.

This is a flint from Poland. Age: Malm/Cretaceous/Danian. What do you think? Reminds me of Neotrigonia or Pholadomya or a cardiid.

IMAG1023a.thumb.jpg.9967ee3cc800123714213c2a43b76c1e.jpg

IMAG1028a.thumb.jpg.b2068a5757665bed8cc33fd9416529e3.jpg

IMAG1030a.thumb.jpg.6922337ef66c812f9303749eaa50e25d.jpg

It's hard to see the symmetry but I don't think there are any Cretaceous brachiopods with spines. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Tarquin

I'm with Tarquin on the Spondylus type of bivalve. Not familiar enough with the area to say for sure which species, but I've never seen a Cretaceous brachiopod that looks like that.

I know genus Spondylus, but I don't think these are spines but ribs visible through partly translucent flint.

Hi guys,

I'm not sure at all but normally Spondylus spines are thicker and grow directly out of the shell.

I think it is a perfect preservation of a brachiopod shell showing the fine hair like spines similar the hair like chatae existing on some brachiopods 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

This is a flint from Poland. Age: Malm/Cretaceous/Danian. What do you think? Reminds me of Neotrigonia or Pholadomya or a cardiid.

IMAG1023a.thumb.jpg.9967ee3cc800123714213c2a43b76c1e.jpg

IMAG1028a.thumb.jpg.b2068a5757665bed8cc33fd9416529e3.jpg

IMAG1030a.thumb.jpg.6922337ef66c812f9303749eaa50e25d.jpg

That silvery shimmer is to die for! Congrats!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I'm in the brachiopod camp.

Superb fossil, gorgeous, wow !:envy:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

16 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

That silvery shimmer is to die for! Congrats!

Sorry but that's just the effect of wetting the flint with water.

45 minutes ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

I know genus Spondylus, but I don't think these are spines but ribs visible through partly translucent flint.

It certainly looks from the photos as if they are spines - for example here, where they don't line up with the ribs and go off the shell at the lower edge. Of course, it may be clearer in the actual specimen.

I admit I can't find a species of Spondylus that looks right (or brachiopod - can anyone suggest one with that ornamentation?).

5a81d74571a47_ScreenShot2018-02-12at17_48_21.png.1e8baae3bb8a9cb8106c00fd54ab3ca8.png

Tarquin

Whoa, that is a gorgeous shell! :envy:

My first thought would be a shell from the Arca genus, but I never saw them with spines as big as these... 

So Spondylus is also a possibility. 

Then again, what we are doing now is simply guesswork, and it probably won't bring us anywhere. With this shell, because most of it, including the hinge area (which is the most significant part in bivalve ID), is hidden within the flint. Therefore it is nearly impossible to tell what kind of bivalve it is! 

The only would then be to uncover the hinge area, but I would definitely not recommend doing that, because the chance that you break the shell is way too high!

Still a very cool shell, I am so jealous!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 minutes ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

Possible, but as I previously said this is purely guesswork and there is a big chance we make mistakes...

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Thank you all for the river of kind replies, past and future :) 

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Possible, but as I previously said this is purely guesswork and there is a big chance we make mistakes...

Sure, you're right, but maybe someone has similar specimens and is familiar with this kind of preservation...

Also, if quessing is all that's left, let be so :) Educated quess or a comprehensive list of options is not that bad.

45 minutes ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

Sorry but that's just the effect of wetting the flint with water.

Ah well. Looks neat wet! :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 minutes ago, andreas said:

Hi,

it lasts a little to find the pic that was in my mind. Acanthothyris is a good match I think

Nope. Acanthothyris is only from the Jurassic. 

Max Derème

54 minutes ago, ynot said:

Can You be more specific about the location?

Maybe someone can narrow down the age.

I doubt it. The flint comes from a gravel aggregate on a parking, Kraków city. Could come from anywhere. Kraków itself have bouth Upper Jurassic and Upper Cretaceous outcroups with flints, but I don't think the material is local, anyways. Other flints from this parking yielded sponges, bivalves, brachiopods, fragments of echinoids, but nothing specific enough for me to narrow the age.

2 minutes ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

I doubt it. The flint comes from a gravel aggregate on a parking, Kraków city. Could come from anywhere. Kraków itself have bouth Upper Jurassic and Upper Cretaceous outcroups with flints, but I don't think the material is local, anyways. Other flints from this parking yielded sponges, bivalves, brachiopods, fragments of echinoids, but nothing specific enough for me to narrow the age.

Then it could be an Acantholysis as Andreas said.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.