Herbivorous tooth, Essex, UK

FunkyMonkey

Hi all, I’m completely stumped by this. I found this on the foreshore of Holland on Sea, Essex near Clacton on Sea. The area is associated with London Clay deposits which usually throw out striatolamia and Otodus teeth. There is also Red Crag which throws out bivalves. Then again there are glacial deposits that have thrown out mammoth remains. Later still there is the Clacton spear and Clactonian assemblage of tools claimed to be evidence of the first hominid in the UK. So what is this? It has the “feel” of stone / pebble. It doesn’t “feel” or “look” recent but of course that means nothing. I’ve seen nothing like this from this area before although it resembles a herbivore tooth I have seen before so please.....help! :)

ECA28FDD-1C87-4D5B-AC2B-C46EBE5A306D.jpeg

Looks equuid (or equuoid if that’s a thing). It looks like a fossil too. Interested what those more familiar with the deposits say:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you both.

Ive found plenty of sharks teeth, one fish vertebrae, whale bones but this is a stand out for me. Cant wait to find out what it might be.

Yes, a horse's tooth, i feel certain. 

Possibly from those Pleistocene glacial deposits you mentioned.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It's a horse lower cheek tooth. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I knew that was a horse tooth straight away, you forget how much knowledge you build up when you have a hobby like this, valuable too...

Archived