Normal 3rd anterior Isurus or pathological

fossilnut

Hi Looking thru an old collection of Isurus, three large and one smaller teeth showed a noticeable concave curve on the lingual side (I think I got that right). My first thought was pathological. In doing some "research" apparently there is something peculiar about the 3rd anterior tooth of Makos. Requesting your help with these. I tried to show by stacking the three curved ones with 2 regular shaped makos. Hope that shows clearly. What purpose would this "special" tooth serve? The brachiopod just could not resist getting in the picture. Thanks

DSCN4980.JPG

I think the curve is a typical inter species variation on the teeth, has nothing to do with the placement.

The third anterior tooth of C. issirus hastalis is smaller than the neighboring teeth, but has the same basic shape.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks ynot for the information. I am not sure of your meaning of INTER SPECIES. Are you suggesting these represent differing species of Isurus? Since you list them as C. issirus I assume I am out of date with the name?

Your picture is rather blurry, and with all the teeth being bunched together and the way they are oriented, we cannot really tell what species they may be. It would be best to take pics of single teeth from all angles. well lit and well focused. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

1 hour ago, fossilnut said:

Thanks ynot for the information. I am not sure of your meaning of INTER SPECIES. Are you suggesting these represent differing species of Isurus? Since you list them as C. issirus I assume I am out of date with the name?

I think he just got a little tripped up, he meant Intraspecies variation and Carcharodon hastilis (am I right Tony @ynot?)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I think he just got a little tripped up, he meant Intraspecies variation and Carcharodon hastilis (am I right Tony @ynot?)

:blush::blush::doh!:

Yes, You are right.

Dyslexia sure does get in the way sometimes.

1 hour ago, fossilnut said:

Sorry for any confusion. (See whodamanHD's post above).

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

:blush::blush::doh!:

Yes, You are right.

Dyslexia sure does get in the way sometimes.

Happens to us all sometimes:)

My posts have been way worse before....

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 hours ago, fossilnut said:

In doing some "research" apparently there is something peculiar about the 3rd anterior tooth of Makos.

You might be thinking of great whites where the third anterior tooth slants toward the mesial direction. Here's a Carcharodon dentition that shows this feature.

gw.JPG

Archived