Snail?

Malone

I found this cast? Mold? Unsure of the correct terminology. I looked at the usgs website and they said snails were unlisted. I wondered if anyone had any helpful information they would share.

IMG_2483.JPG

If you have the formation name try googling the "formation name,gastropods". It looks like a gastropod (snail) steinkern.

When asking for identification,  it is best to lay the specimen down on a table, so that it is stable, and not shaky in your hand. 

Take photos in 4 dimensions. Top, bottom, front and back.

Put something in your pictures for size reference. Preferably a tape measure or ruler.

Please always state where you found the item - county and state are fine. 

People find fossils on vacations, or trips or receive them as gifts. It is not always assumed your fossils will be from the same area, every time.

Other people may not have seen your previous posts, and may not know where you are collecting your finds. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

54 minutes ago, Plax said:

If you have the formation name try googling the "formation name,gastropods". It looks like a gastropod (snail) steinkern.

It's a pile of broken limestone pieces from the Pueblo public works that they dump concrete and debris so I really don't know. Possible smoky hill formation but the are many formations it could be from.

53 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

When asking for identification,  it is best to lay the specimen down on a table, so that it is stable, and not shaky in your hand. 

Take photos in 4 dimensions. Top, bottom, front and back.

Put something in your pictures for size reference. Preferably a tape measure or ruler.

Please always state where you found the item - county and state are fine. 

People find fossils on vacations, or trips or receive them as gifts. It is not always assumed your fossils will be from the same area, every time.

Other people may not have seen your previous posts, and may not know where you are collecting your finds. ;)

Regards,

Will do thank you for the good advice!

59 minutes ago, NWGeoFan said:

Could you clean it off and then post new photos?

I have never cleaned a fossil and don't currently have the air tools I have seen used in videos

1 hour ago, NWGeoFan said:

Could you clean it off and then post new photos?

1 hour ago, Plax said:

Thank you!

It looks like a gastropod steinkern.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It looks like a gastropod steinkern.

You and plax helped me find what I believe is a turbinella parva steinkern. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Malone said:

I have never cleaned a fossil and don't currently have the air tools I have seen used in videos

Would you have advice on video or tutorials on cleaning fossils?

3 minutes ago, Malone said:

30 minutes ago, Malone said:

Would you have advice on video or tutorials on cleaning fossils?

Why do You keep quoting Yourself and asking a question? You should quote the person You want to ask.

Usually start with a toothbrush then scrub with soap and water. If the fossil looks fragile or is already falling apart then do not do a cleaning this way.

Another method is to pick the matrix off with a dental pick or pin vise.

If You have questions about prepping a certain fossil You can start a thread in the "fossil prepperations" sub forum.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

Why do You keep quoting Yourself and asking a question? You should quote the person You want to ask.

Usually start with a toothbrush then scrub with soap and water. If the fossil looks fragile or is already falling apart then do not do a cleaning this way.

Another method is to pick the matrix off with a dental pick or pin vise.

If You have questions about prepping a certain fossil You can start a thread in the "fossil prepperations" sub forum.

Thank you! This is my first time using social media. I apologize for any annoying mistakes. What is the plus symbol for next to the quote?

1 minute ago, Malone said:

What is the plus symbol for next to the quote?

It allows You to quote more than 1 post at the same time.

1 minute ago, Malone said:

thank you for your patience!

Glad to help!

Feel free to ask if You have any problems You need help with.

2 hours ago, Malone said:

You and plax helped me find what I believe is a turbinella parva steinkern. Thank you!

not me, google!:) If one knows the formation and what the fossil is in general, google will usually get you there. As an example:

google: "shark teeth, Calvert Formation"

Archived