Hibodus Shark in Kem Kem?

Seguidora-de-Isis

Good evening to all my friends at the largest fossil forum in the world!:wub:

Would you like to know, please, exactly what would this be? Is it a good piece? It's real? Is there any scientific information on this? Any and all information will be extremely useful to assist me. I thank everyone!

This is the seller information:

Subject: Hibodus fin spine
Procedence: Kem Kem, morocco

image.thumb.png.9c6de97101eaafd6639dbf1df2d2c60f.png

image.thumb.png.bf72f8f44623d9a06b8451a15bbe93b3.png

image.thumb.png.cf6e7742e06203b6f2815030ba92325a.png

@Troodon @LordTrilobite @Tidgy's Dad @Haravex @hxmendoza @oilshale

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

They had tons of them for sale at the Tucson show.  Looks like a nice one.

Example of those spines on a Hybodus at the Tucson show.  From Germany

IMG_1318.JPG.ff3115e63d5d2fcd09d8b829cb69fba7.JPG.337a03f27d686e78f312e2c334df4f44.JPGIMG_1319.JPG.9e87ad2f17d24d453e380f916972a1e3.JPG.4fe7b739e5ce4e554e206b7c59f5cb5d.JPG

Yup, real. reasonably common on the market. Those types of sharks have these spines in front of their dorsal fins. They can be seen here in this picture.

806_hybodus_andrea_morandini.jpg

Just like teeth from Kem Kem, they are often composited from broken incomplete specimens to make "complete" ones.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

13 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Just like teeth from Kem Kem, they are often composited from broken incomplete specimens to make "complete" ones.

This is exactly what I am concerned about this specimen;

image.thumb.png.b7616dcd2d54174187fc5b4082d4aa15.png

@LordTrilobite  @Troodon

03.PNG

Oh, yes, definitely real but a typical Moroccan composite, hiding the detail with cement as others have stated here and in the thread I posted. 

It's nice , but two pieces at least. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

These are very common from Kem Kem, but mostly as broken pieces. Understandably they are very delicate, and so breaks are common in whole ones.

For me this is not bad at all it is a repair but that is all not composited, as for where it is from it can be found in both layers of the kem kem beds from what I have seen and there would appear to be two types of hybodus one of the common what we have seen and also have seen two dorsal spines with bump like texture to them as shown in troodon's picture, however these two where terrible composites and the dealer was not happy for me to take a picture of them.

Untitled.png

Forgot to add as a side note a lot of the miners know certain fossils are fragile and worried about them getting damaged I seen a nice 2.7 inch carchar tooth with no damage to it but covered in glue.

16 hours ago, Troodon said:

I do not believe it is a composite it's there to hide a break repair.  It's to perfect

image.thumb.png.cf6e7742e06203b6f2815030ba92325a.jpg.2497b9bf24d9b6b9b5bc081f0f0d574f.jpg

8 hours ago, Haravex said:

For me this is not bad at all it is a repair but that is all not composited, as for where it is from it can be found in both layers of the kem kem beds from what I have seen and there would appear to be two types of hybodus one of the common what we have seen and also have seen two dorsal spines with bump like texture to them as shown in troodon's picture, however these two where terrible composites and the dealer was not happy for me to take a picture of them.

Untitled.png

Forgot to add as a side note a lot of the miners know certain fossils are fragile and worried about them getting damaged I seen a nice 2.7 inch carchar tooth with no damage to it but covered in glue.

Thanks for the answers, but I think there was a language barrier here in the answers of @Troodon and @Haravex, because unfortunately my English is very bad. Do you two believe that it is a single spine that has broken and been repaired (glued), or is it a compound made with two spines?

03.PNG

I can see a couple of breaks, but they match up too well for it to be composite. I also believe it to be a repaired specimen.

Archived