What is a Hubbell Megalodon?

Miocene_Mason

Here’s my fossil question this week: Every now and then people speak of “Hubbell Megalodons” or “Hubbell-type Megalodons”, and everyone seem to know what that means. Maybe I’m the only one, but I have no clue what that is. Can y’all enlighten me on the subject? I know Hubbell is a world renowned collector of shark fossils, and I assume he first found or recognized these type of Megalodon teeth? Pictures, explainations, literature are all welcome and encouraged.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's a meg with the distinctive "heart shape" is known as a Hubbell after Dr. Gordon Hubbell who first described them.

• I found this Informative 7

@Troodon and @Tidgy's Dad thanks for that, now I can actually tell what people are talking about when they speak of them!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hubbell megalodon… ?    Now I got a mental picture of a giant shark in space orbit...

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

15 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Hubbell megalodon… ?    Now I got a mental picture of a giant shark in space orbit...

Ask and you shall receive:

131F3ACC-D0A5-40EF-AB40-3EF97EEB54AF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

:yay-smiley-1::rofl:  that made my day , thx :D

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

13 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

:yay-smiley-1::rofl:  that made my day , thx :D

Anytime:D:fistbump:

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 2/13/2018 at 7:10 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Maybe I’m the only one, but I have no clue what that is.

Your not the only one Whodamad.  Till this very moment,,, I have never heard of this term for a meg.  Ya learn something every day on this forum.

RB

On 2/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, WhodamanHD said:

This picture definitely gives new meaning to "SHARKNADO 1 thru 6."  I can just imagine the new movies from this!!!! Can you hear the screams and cries on the Space Station??????  

• I found this Informative 2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Ya learn something every day on this forum.

Very true! Glad we could both learn something! :D

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

This picture definitely gives new meaning to "SHARKNADO 1 thru 6."  I can just imagine the new movies from this!!!! Can you hear the screams and cries on the Space Station??????  

Haha, this will follow “Shark-a-lanche: Ice is just frozen water” with a meg coming out of the icebergs! I think if you slap the word “Shark” on any movie it will be a box office success.

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 years later...
On 2/19/2018 at 8:11 AM, RJB said:

Your not the only one Whodamad.  Till this very moment,,, I have never heard of this term for a meg.  Ya learn something every day on this forum.

RB

I agree.  And I thought I knew everything.  : )