PolskiByk

Are these Pigmy White teeth? (Palaeocarcharodon orientalis)

PolskiByk

These teeth were found along the Potomac River in Western MD, in the Aquia formation.   I am having a tough time finding information on teeth from this location but I believe these are possibly Pigmy White teeth (Palaeocarcharodon orientalis).  All six show signs of serrations, but there are other teeth from the Paleocene that might look similar?  I need help identify them and don't want to mislabel them in my collection.  

Also I found these two smaller teeth with serrations on one side but they seem unlikely to be Pigmy Whites.   Any idea what they are?

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Darktooth

In the first pic some are definitely pygmy white shark though I hesitate to say they all are.  The two teeth in last two pics are a type of tiger shark.

Al Dente
6 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Your last two teeth are likely Pachygaleus lefevrei.  I'm comfortable with Paleocarcharodon for the rest.  Some of those are really beautiful! :wub:

I agree.

WhodamanHD

:drool:

Tidgy's Dad

Beautiful teeth! :wub:

sixgill pete
11 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Elasmo is a great resource that will tell you what you need to know to ID your teeth.  Click on "Faunas" at the top, then on "Aquia".

Your last two teeth are likely Pachygaleus lefevrei.  I'm comfortable with Paleocarcharodon for the rest.  Some of those are really beautiful! :wub:

Don

I agree also. Those P. orientalis are beautiful.

PolskiByk

Elasmo!  So great!   I never noticed the Aquia link.  Thanks all.  If you think these are beautiful you should meet my lady :) Happy Valentine's day.