Spinosaurus Vertebra Bone Dinosaur Fossil Cretaceous Kem Kem

BadlandTraveller

Looks completely real to me. But it's absolutely not a spinosaur or any other type of dinosaur. The colour is also wrong for Kem Kem. This is clearly a Khouribga fossil. I'd say plesiosaur. Real vertebra, just really rough looking.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I agree with LordTrilobite. This fossil does not come from Kem Kem, because in Kem Kem beds the matrix has reddish tones. In addition, the morphology is actually plesiosaur, and the matrix is very similar with the phosphate beds of Khouribga, in Morocco.

Anyway, if the seller is announcing this fossil as being from a spinosaur, then the seller is being dishonest!

• I found this Informative 1

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

15 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I agree with LordTrilobite. This fossil does not come from Kem Kem, because in Kem Kem beds the matrix has reddish tones. In addition, the morphology is actually plesiosaur, and the matrix is very similar with the phosphate beds of Khouribga, in Morocco.

Anyway, if the seller is announcing this fossil as being from a spinosaur, then the seller is being dishonest!

I managed to track down the listing of the vert in the original post. I've spoken with this seller recently about a couple of non-related vertebrae that he has listed. The Dyrosaurus vert he currently has listed was originally listed as Spinosaurus from the Kem Kem. After sending him pictures of associated Dyrosaurus material, he updated the listing to it being a Dyrosaurus vert. I would say the seller is not malicious, just misinformed on some of his material.

Back to the original topic, It looks like a plesiosaur vert, but the transverse processes look suspect. Something seems off, but it could just be poor preservation/prep work. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance with this one.

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

I managed to track down the listing of the vert in the original post. I've spoken with this seller recently about a couple of non-related vertebrae that he has listed. The Dyrosaurus vert he currently has listed was originally listed as Spinosaurus from the Kem Kem. After sending him pictures of associated Dyrosaurus material, he updated the listing to it being a Dyrosaurus vert. I would say the seller is not malicious, just misinformed on some of his material.

Back to the original topic, It looks like a plesiosaur vert, but the transverse processes look suspect. Something seems off, but it could just be poor preservation/prep work. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance with this one.

I'm not saying that's the case with this seller. But unfortunately it has happened to me to warn the seller that the description of the ad was wrong, the seller thank me and modify the ad and two weeks later, the seller modify the ad again with the wrong and misleading description. We live in a cruel world!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

It seems this same seller also sells some fossils actually labeled as Plesiosaur, but adds that they are Spinosaurus era. Since both lived in the Mesozoic, this is technically correct, but it is wholly misleading as these animals were millions of years apart in life.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 4 years later...

I see that this is an extremely old thread, but I felt I really should chime in. This is my fossil, I don’t know what it’s doing showing up on other sites. I got it like maybe 6+ years ago-actually, it was my very first large, and more expensive fossil. It’s probably in the pictures of my collection. It’s not a spinosaurus vert, it’s a plesiosaurs(elasmosaurus?) vertebra. Also, I know the person I got it from, and I know he goes to shows and gets things that way, and a lot of what he gets is VERY unique, and has definitely not been on the internet market before him. I can’t say that about EVERYTHING, cause I just don’t know 100%, but I know, as much as I’m able, everything after a certain point(at least then up UNTIL i lost contact.), and I BELIEVE this was during that period. I know it’s been MANY years since this thread, but if anyone happens to still have any information about who apparently had this listed for sale, could you please PM me so I can try to look into it.

If anyone would like to take a closer look at more angles, and check out its potential authenticity, I would be happy to send pictures, and would appreciate the input. I have complete trust in this being 100% authentic, but I’m definitely not an expert, however, I did a lot of research, and am even able to say exactly which vertebrae it is(I’d have to look into it again. i looked into that before I even bought it. All I can say now is that it’s from somewhere right above the pelvis area). It isn’t in perfect shape, there are some breaks, and imperfections. Nothing missing, just parts that aren’t totally straight, and part is raised up.

Edited by Still_human