I found this bone 10 days ago ,  recognized a toe bone, eliminated tapir, but thought it might be Peccary because I had found a peccary molar previous time out. A bad assumption. I sent the 92.7 mm bone into University of Florida fossil Identification service, which usually means Richard Hulbert.  He helps me a lot with fossil questions and identifications. I like to return the favor but in most cases, Richard has seen my fossil clones hundreds or thousands of times.

5a84b937e6306_Castoroides4thmetatarsal1.jpg.f4d8427d4573826b41e59b9b0361341d.jpg5a84b93d67706_Castoroides4thmetatarsal2.jpg.d2606e97571cffdfd3c477956e3a4974.jpg

I have looked at the fossil you sent in for identification.  Based on size and anatomy of the distal end its best match is a metatarsal of the giant beaver. I also compared it to a modern beaver and some images of fossil beaver metatarsals.  It is the fourth metatarsal. We do not have any examples of this particular bone of Castoroides in our collection.  Because of this I would like you to consider donating it to the museum’s collection. But if you prefer not to, let me know and I will return it to you soon.

Cheers, Richard

Dr. Richard C. Hulbert Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontology Collections Manager
Florida Museum of Natural History
Dickinson Hall, University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-7800 USA

YES !!!! YES !!! Found a bone that Richard needs.  :yay-smiley-1:Time to make a donation...

4th Metatarsals of Castoroides are HARD to find... Photo's of them on the Internet are hard to find...  5a84c1d44dcf5_CastoroidesmetatarsalPhoto.JPG.956a7df38e9b227b99ccbdc3ee2afd2d.JPG5a84c1e8f2b94_CastoroidesmetatarsalPaper.JPG.7f7c2bd1ac42a26423ed03c635c900fd.JPG

At 3.65 inches, this specimen may be smaller , earlier giant beavers like Castoroides leiseyorum or Castoroides ohioensis dilophidus.   Enjoy, I am... Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Very nice Jack, beaver is a pretty rare find for most of us in the southern end of the state:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks for helping science:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice find! See if they can do a cast for you. I have a couple from stuff I have donated. That way you still kind of have it for your collection.

Congratulations on the rare find, Jack!

Well done with the donation, as well! 

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great find!!!  I have to trap giant beavers on my property  to keep them from damming up my trout stream. Dams slow water which leads to "global warming" for the trout and death results. So I could paint a few of their metatarsals black and bring them to you in March so you have the complete set.  LOL Just let me know.

Mike

Thanks for all the good words and kind statements.  I can only wish to find many more unique fossils to donate,  A cast may be a good way of keeping the memory,

@minnbuckeye

How big are those GIANT beavers on your property?  I hear these Castoroides Ohioensis went up to 250 pounds in Minnesota...  better be careful messing with them. :D

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

12 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great find!!!  I have to trap giant beavers on my property  to keep them from damming up my trout stream. Dams slow water which leads to "global warming" for the trout and death results. So I could paint a few of their metatarsals black and bring them to you in March so you have the complete set.  LOL Just let me know.

Mike

No need to paint Mike. As we know from my post it only takes a few weeks in a tannic bath to obtain that nice "aged" persona.

20180215_062513.jpg

17 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Very nice Jack, beaver is a pretty rare find for most of us in the southern end of the state:fistbump:

Well, Jeff. It is not like me to be GREEDY, but I am thinking maybe one of theseBeaverMolarDec2011Rightp4.jpg.928bc18d4866be9a21a473db394547b2.jpg or these might be hiding close by.... sometimes hope turns into reality.:D

lmx063__78764.1439594065_900_900.jpg.be74c4d9d31eaf7a0a6b40698b8ba707.jpg

Congratulations on your find, Shellseeker!  You did the right thing by donating it.

@minnbuckeye there is a big difference between an extant 'giant' beaver (Castor canadensis) and an extinct Giant Beaver (Castoroides ohioensis).  While the extant beaver is the largest rodent in North America, a really big one only weights in at about 70 pounds.  As Shellseeker mentioned, the extinct Giant beaver could probably reach weights of 275 pounds.  Now THAT is a GIANT beaver!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Archived