Amateur information

Malone

Are there any videos of a fossil collection venture from start to finish? I was hoping to learn some of the standard practices that might be learned from watching experienced collectors go through the entire process. I was fascinated by the micro fossils posts and thought of all the processes to reach that point. in a video I thought there might be nuances that may be missed in a text only format, even though the post were extremely thorough.

33 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

Using big names like Harvard and Yale might help, the big colleges like to go on digs often.

34 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

Using big names like Harvard and Yale might help, the big colleges like to go on digs often.

When my grandpa went to Harvard the tuition was five hundred a semester maybe that's why Harvard starts with Ha. Thanks for the responses! Myself I don't even think I can pronounce some of the words I have encountered since joining the forum.

• I found this Informative 1

I wouldn't say that there are "standard practices" in collecting, per se, if you mean something that can be universalized, as it very much depends on what one is collecting, where, etc. How a collector goes about locating and preparing a dinosaur find will differ significantly from those searching in soft shales for invertebrate fossils, or in how some will sift through sediment along rivers. 

It comes down to knowing your geologic area, what it likely contains, and what tools are appropriate for the job (and this will differ greatly). The subject is perhaps too vast to contain in a single video. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, RyanDye said:

Thank you for giving your time to respond. I don't know if I would understand much if people didn't give their thoughts and ideas. You all have been a great help!

2 hours ago, Malone said:

When my grandpa went to Harvard the tuition was five hundred a semester maybe that's why Harvard starts with Ha. Thanks for the responses! Myself I don't even think I can pronounce some of the words I have encountered since joining the forum.

That's a solid point, they can speak in languages similar to hieroglyphics sometimes. :blink:  

rydysig.JPG

3 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

That's a solid point, they can speak in languages similar to hieroglyphics sometimes. :blink:  

My vocabulary has improved substantially since I started reading the text in this forum! I will attempt to continue. Siri sure has trouble with the words too, but that's probably my pronunciation. There are many words specific to paleontology that I never heard. The extent of my vocabulary  was limited to a few of the more popular dinosaurs.

6 minutes ago, Malone said:

My vocabulary has improved substantially since I started reading the text in this forum! I will attempt to continue. Siri sure has trouble with the words too, but that's probably my pronunciation. There are many words specific to paleontology that I never heard. The extent of my vocabulary  was limited to a few of the more popular dinosaurs.

I can relate, paleontology has some very perplexing vocab.

rydysig.JPG

If there is one thing that is “standard” it is collecting as much location information as you can. Take notes, photos and label everything. Or at least enough to know exactly where and from what layer you found the fossil. Everything else is often specific to the types of fossils and the kind of matrix you are in.

On 2/22/2018 at 10:09 AM, erose said:

If there is one thing that is “standard” it is collecting as much location information as you can. Take notes, photos and label everything. Or at least enough to know exactly where and from what layer you found the fossil. Everything else is often specific to the types of fossils and the kind of matrix you are in.

Thank you! That is very helpful!

On 2/19/2018 at 3:26 PM, Malone said:

Siri sure has trouble with the words too, but that's probably my pronunciation. 

I can personally atest that Siri has trouble understanding words because it pronounces them how they are spelled and not necessarily how we normally speak them. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG