Layers, layers. Need help to ID

dodo4

Very cool beach find.  Not easy to find ivory fossil.  It looks great as is, but if you wanted, you can grind and polish it flat/smooth on all or some edges.  Because of how dense it is and the intricate layers/patterns, it can be polished as smooth as glass and really accentuates the colors and patterns.  When you are finished, there is no doubt you are looking at ivory.  You can even leave one or two edges as is to show the natural versus prepared states.

• I found this Informative 1

47 minutes ago, Chippewa said:

Very cool beach find.  Not easy to find ivory fossil.  It looks great as is, but if you wanted, you can grind and polish it flat/smooth on all or some edges.  Because of how dense it is and the intricate layers/patterns, it can be polished as smooth as glass and really accentuates the colors and patterns.  When you are finished, there is no doubt you are looking at ivory.  You can even leave one or two edges as is to show the natural versus prepared states.

Thank you Chippewa, good idea. I dont have the equipment, yet. :-)

3 minutes ago, dodo4 said:

Thank you Chippewa, good idea. I dont have the equipment, yet. :-)

On ivory it can be done with regular emery cloth type sandpaper. wet or dry.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Definitely salt or some similar evaporite. Do as @ynot suggests. Soak, soak, soak. If the pieces are stable, they can then be left to dry in the open air. If they are brittle, you will need to control the drying.

Di this by wrapping each wet piece in a wet towel or newspaper. Then wrap in a dry towel and put them in a closed box for a few weeks.

Once dry, determine if the pieces need to be stabilized. If they are trying to come apart on their own, they need it for sure.

get some Paraloid, McGean B15, or Butvar. Dissolve 1 part plastic in 50 parts acetone. The best method to apply is soaking. Make enough solution to submerge your largest piece and put it in. Let it sit until the bubbles stop coming out. Remove the piece and place it on cardboard to dry out. 

Thank you! It feels stable, so I am soaking it. If this is a bone/tusk fragment, I can only imagine the size of the whole bone/tusk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Definitely salt or some similar evaporite. Do as @ynot suggests. Soak, soak, soak. If the pieces are stable, they can then be left to dry in the open air. If they are brittle, you will need to control the drying.

Di this by wrapping each wet piece in a wet towel or newspaper. Then wrap in a dry towel and put them in a closed box for a few weeks.

Once dry, determine if the pieces need to be stabilized. If they are trying to come apart on their own, they need it for sure.

get some Paraloid, McGean B15, or Butvar. Dissolve 1 part plastic in 50 parts acetone. The best method to apply is soaking. Make enough solution to submerge your largest piece and put it in. Let it sit until the bubbles stop coming out. Remove the piece and place it on cardboard to dry out. 

@Ptychodus04 I came across this document regarding Biodeterioration of Paraloid B72 and B44 and thought that you may find it useful.

AAS_15_Li_C_pp_283_290.pdf

9 hours ago, dodo4 said:

@Ptychodus04 I came across this document regarding Biodeterioration of Paraloid B72 and B44 and thought that you may find it useful.

AAS_15_Li_C_pp_283_290.pdf

This was a great read. Thanks for sharing it. It is interesting that microbes will attack just about anything given the right environment. Thankfully, most collectors don't keep their specimens in extreme conditions.

I found this small, insignificant piece, walking the same beach near South Ponte Vedra. But I now know what Schreger lines are.

Thank you for helping me with the ID.

DSC_6915.JPG

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

I found this small, insignificant piece, walking the same beach near South Ponte Vedra. But I now know what Schreger lines are.