Steinkerns: fossils or ichnofossils?

Max-fossils

Hi all,

I was wondering: would the steinkern of for example a Turritella be considered a fossil or an ichnofossil?

Because in fact, the shell itself didn’t become a fossil, and what we are looking at is just sediment that filled in the shell and then solidified. But then again I’ve never heard of a steinkern being referred as an ichnofossil...

So what do you guys think: really a fossil, or just a trace fossil?

I am curious to see everyone’s opinion :) 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

The infiling of a gastropod is an internal mold (steinkern) fossil and is not an ichnofossil. An ichnofossil is a trace made by movement or a behavior of the fossil organism.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

54 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The infiling of a gastropod is an internal mold (steinkern) fossil and is not an ichnofossil. An ichnofossil is a trace made by movement or a behavior of the fossil organism.

And both of them are referred to equally as fossils.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I was under the impression that ichnofossils must necessarily contain information about animal behavior, which is a characteristic that steinkerns do not have.

@DPS Ammonite @Ludwigia @Pumpkinhead thanks for the replies, you've convinced me that steinkerns are indeed fossils and not ichnofossils. :fistbump:

Btw, @DPS Ammonite, very nice profile picture too :D

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived