Cloud the Dinosaur King

My first fossil to show off on The Fossil Forum is my trilobite, Elrathia kingii. It is mearly the carapace of a shed skin of a juvenile, but I still think it's pretty cool. Luckily, I got these photos before my sisters cat, Nala, got to it and broke it in half. At least it's not shattered I guess. Any way, I hope you guys like my Elrathia kingii. Also, any advice for where I should put my fossils? I have my two trilobites in a rock collection, as well as a Staghorn Coral, I have my sharks teeth it two small boxes, just piled up on top of each other, and I have my fossils from Lake Huron in a bag with some geodes. Any advice on any box or something I should put them in?

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

It's a pretty little Elrathia to be sure. Nice specimen. (I think you posted it before, somewhere?) :)

How on Earth did the cat break it? Golly, these things are tough! 

People display their fossils in all sorts of ways, shelves, filing cabinets, boxes.......

Whatever suits your lifestyle. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Teeth look good and display well in Rikers Mounts. These are shallow boxes with a glass window in the top and fasteners to keep the lid tightly down.

20180215_055221.png

Google image:  mine are in a glass cabinet and can't photograph well through the glass.

Very nice Trilo.

The Riker mounts are an excellent idea.

I display a lot of mine in a curio cabinet with glass doors to keep the dust down.

I do need to get some Riker mount boxes for some of my smaller specimens to keep them together.

Like everyone else said, riker mounts may be the best idea. I also am excited to see the rest of your collection!

3 hours ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

before my sisters cat, Nala, got to it and broke it in half.

Cats are one of the most destructive animals on this planet. :P

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

Cats are one of the most destructive animals on this planet. :P

Agreed!

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

Teeth look good and display well in Rikers Mounts. These are shallow boxes with a glass window in the top and fasteners to keep the lid tightly down.

I think i will use Riker Mounts. I have one of these I display my dead praying mantids in, but I think I will move them to one of those insect display cases. I can put the teeth in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Another new fossil that I got at Beckham's Barn. It was labeled as a Madagascan ammonite but is in fact a Moroccan goniatite. None-the-less, I still love this beautiful fossil. As you can see in the bottom picture, it actually has an orthocone preserved in its side! Pretty cool, two fossils for the price of one, both beautifully preserved.

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

Another cool new fossil that was probably under the constant threat of danger from above, Dastilbe crandalli from the Santana Formation of Brazil. Not the most beautifully preserved fish I saw for sale, but I had only 20 dollars to spend and there were three other fossils I wanted to get, so I could not get one of the really well preserved specimens without giving up one of my other fossils, which would have probably been the orthocone. It is still well preserved enough to see all of the fine details.

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

On 2/15/2018 at 8:25 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's a pretty little Elrathia to be sure. Nice specimen. (I think you posted it before, somewhere?) :)

How on Earth did the cat break it? Golly, these things are tough! 

I posted it in the fossil ID section to find out which species it was. And about the cat, I had left it on the counter while I went to school as no one would be home, except for the cat. She must have thought it was a cockroach and started to knock it around. She must have either knocked it on the floor and broken it, or knocked it on the floor and then bit it with her canine tooth and snapped it clean in half. :megalodon_broken01:

• 2 months later...

Archived