What is this tooth?

DatFossilBoy

I purchased this tooth on an auction site for very cheap and I'm wondering what it could be.

It is from Calvert Cliffs,Maryland and its 3,5cm. Thats All the information I know...

I have 2 guesses: whale or Pliosaur though I think it's more whale than Pliosaur because they are very rare...

What do you think? Any clue or detail would help.Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think the Calvert Cliffs have only Miocene formations so it can't be Pliosaur.Also Pliosaur teeth are usually more slender.

It must be either croc or whale tooth.

I'm with @jpc Croc have found many big ones at the cliffs.   By the way the exposure is Miocene so no pliosaurs.  Lots of whale material found there.

28 minutes ago, jpc said:

where are all our Calvert Cliffs collectors?  

Most of us are out on the cliffs:P

I vote croc as well but it is kinda worn for me to be confident it’s not odontocete.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, DatFossilBoy said:

I purchased this tooth on an auction site for very cheap and I'm wondering what it could be.

It is from Calvert Cliffs,Maryland and its 3,5cm. Thats All the information I know...

I have 2 guesses: whale or Pliosaur though I think it's more whale than Pliosaur because they are very rare...

What do you think? Any clue or detail would help.Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

What is the size of this tooth?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

+1 for crocodilian origins.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I'm leaning toward odontocete tooth.

image.jpg.7700a57d0f78193eac2a4d4fb2e9777e.thumb.jpg.9d5d32d3d6515b670c0b71987e238a4c.jpgdolphin-teeth-fossils.jpg.a736640f41533b044b8c1df1adecc88a.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Actually the dental morphology of this fossilized tooth of Calvert Cliffs deceives, because it resembles crocodilian teeth very much, but even if this tooth is woefully broken and poorly preserved, it is definitely a cetacean.

image.png.2e08de890231510278505a854d50a190.png

And this has already been discussed in another topic:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Can you take a picture of the base of the tooth?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived