Bozark

Gompy dig this March

Bozark

Hey all!

If the weather is good I'll be digging an old site the Nebraska border in Dallas, SD. Excavation around 1917 produced fish, horse, rhinoceros, and gomphothere material. I've been out prospecting the land and found pieces of ivory, bone frags, and tortoise fragments as well. I have written permission to collect and excavate there, does any want to join for a week of digging?

Uncle Siphuncle

Sounds like adequate time for proper weathering. 

WhodamanHD

If only the weren’t 1,500 miles in between here and there, then I’d be there in a heartbeat!

Tidgy's Dad

It's a generous offer, so wish I could come along and find some tortoise pieces. Wishing you good fortune. :)

Bozark

I'm hoping  to be out there the third through the tenth

Castle Rock

So, PLEASE tell us, did this trip actually HAPPEN?  What did you find???????

KimTexan

Maybe he froze out there. March seems way too cold for a proper dig in SD. Does anyone actually dig in March in that area?

Bozark

Yep! We got out there and nearly froze. Blizzard on the ranch during calving season so we spent most of the time cooped up or tracking down calves with the ranchers. We did end up finding a partial scapula and ulna from a quarry, and a dry socketed lower gomphothere jaw fragment on the surface at another site. After subsequent returns the quarry has dried up (I'll scratch around in it a few more times before I call it quits), however, I'll be prospecting for new sites when the foliage goes down a little this fall