Kimmi911

Northwest Georgia Fossils

Kimmi911

Are there any locations for fossils in Northwest Georgia?

Fossildude19

There are a number of threads about Trilobites found on the Conasauga Riverin Northwestern Georgia. 

This paper may be useful.

Fruitbat

You might find a link to an article or two of interest in the Georgia section of my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  Here's a LINK.  Just click on it an then scroll down to the section for Georgia.

-Joe

MeargleSchmeargl

My favourite formation in North GA is the Conasauga of Chatsworth. Really good and plentiful trilos there. Been there 5 times as of Easter Sunday.

I am also reading a book called "Roadside Geology of Georgia" that references a series of various Paleozoic deposits of various ages in road cuts along I-24 and I-59. The book says that the strata is mainly Ordovician in age, but that you can find deposits ranging all the way from Cambrian to Pennsylvanian (excluding the Devonian, as there aren't any known Devonian deposits in GA). Haven't personally been to, but might check it out one day.

Kane

I didn't know GA didn't have Devonian deposits. :( 

That's a shame (although it sounds like there are a lot of other great eras on offer!). Up here, a lot of what is available is Devonian cuz "we are Devo... D-E-V-O" :raindance: (too young for that reference?). 

MeargleSchmeargl
6 minutes ago, Kane said:

we are Devo... D-E-V-O

I believe you are correct in your assumption. :headscratch:

SailingAlongToo
12 minutes ago, Kane said:

That's a shame (although it sounds like there are a lot of other great eras on offer!). Up here, a lot of what is available is Devonian cuz "we are Devo... D-E-V-O" :raindance: (too young for that reference?). 

Whip It Good!

Kane
2 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Whip It Good!

LOL! Some good ol' robo-punk. Circa 1978 vintage:

FossilDAWG

Actually, the Chattanooga Shale is mid- to late Devonian and has a few limited outcrops in Georgia.  However fossils are limited to a few conodonts.  The Armuchee Chert is exposed near Rome and Gore (in Georgia) and contains corals and brachiopods that suggest correlation with the Onondaga Formation of Ontario/New York.  I haven't collected that formation in Georgia yet but I should keep an eye out for it.  Nearby in Alabama the Frog Mountain Sandstone contains Onondaga type brachiopods and corals, together with heads and tails of phacopid trilobites.

Don

MeargleSchmeargl
9 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Actually, the Chattanooga Shale is mid- to late Devonian and has a few limited outcrops in Georgia.  However fossils are limited to a few conodonts.  The Armuchee Chert is exposed near Rome and Gore (in Georgia) and contains corals and brachiopods that suggest correlation with the Onondaga Formation of Ontario/New York.  I haven't collected that formation in Georgia yet but I should keep an eye out for it.  Nearby in Alabama the Frog Mountain Sandstone contains Onondaga type brachiopods and corals, together with heads and tails of phacopid trilobites.

Don

Ah, ok. I had been told that Devonian stuff was practically non-existent down here.

FossilDAWG

You said "excluding the Devonian, as there aren't any known Devonian deposits in GA".  That is different than "practically non-existent".  It is true that there are few outcrops of Devonian rocks, and they are not very fossiliferous.  It is not true to say that there aren't any known Devonian deposits.

Don

MeargleSchmeargl
2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

You said "excluding the Devonian, as there aren't any known Devonian deposits in GA".  That is different than "practically non-existent".  It is true that there are few outcrops of Devonian rocks, and they are not very fossiliferous.  It is not true to say that there aren't any known Devonian deposits.

Don

I guess we can say "known to me". Never heard of Devonian deposits being in GA at all before today. :shrug:

The more you know. 

----------------------------

By the way, have this handy little book:

IMG_20180424_121625.thumb.jpg.2aaa97494e3b522901a0d90f7f13999a.jpg

It's the one that talks about the more than 20 paleozoic road cut exposures along I-59 and I-24 at GA's corner. I'd eagerly go, but I've  heard some about laws regarding Interstate cuts. Even then I've seen a thread from a few years back talking about a spot on the  interstate that some guys visit somewhat frequently. Any additional info on laws regarding this?

FossilDAWG

As a rule it is illegal to stop on interstates, or to be a pedestrian, and that means at best you'll be told to move along or more likely you'll be ticketed.  However there is some "wiggle room" regarding on- and off-ramps I think.

There is a spectacular multi-level cut on I-75 at Ringgold where it cuts through Taylor Ridge.  The main cut is mostly Ordovician Mannie and Shellmound Formations (and maybe some others), with some Silurian Red Mountain Formation.  A bit to the south there is a low roadcut that is Mississippian if I recall correctly.  Years ago you used to be able to get off the interstate in Ringgold and drive to the end of the access road that parallels the interstate to access the outcrop.  I did that once and found a variety of brachiopods, snails, and bryozoans in the Ordovician and a few brachiopods and trilobite bits in the Silurian.  However the approach to the outcrop is now fenced, and a couple of years ago the landowner posted here on the Forum that cameras had been installed and all the property owners were now calling the police on trespassers.

You should be more careful about making strong statements about things you are not sure of.  It's almost always best to qualify statements with caveats such as "to the best of my knowledge" or "I am not aware of...".

Don

Auspex
1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Never heard of Devonian deposits being in GA at all before today.

That's why most of us are here; to learn! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Today, for example, I learned how to tell which side is up on a fish.

Uncle Siphuncle
22 hours ago, Kane said:

Be on the lookout for Kane and his buddies collecting in silver jumpsuits with flower pots on their heads.

hrguy54
On 4/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, FossilDAWG said:

s a rule it is illegal to stop on interstates, or to be a pedestrian, and that means at best you'll be told to move along or more likely you'll be ticketed.  However there is some "wiggle room" regarding on- and off-ramps I think.

I hunt on I-75 in Ohio all the time. Just did this weekend.

You can't park your car on the shoulder or the ramps and you can't cross over the drainage ditch that usually separates the shoulder area from the roadcut, hillside, etc.

So, I scope out a place to park just off the ramp (shopping area, school, church, apartment complex) and walk to the site staying on the "other side" of the ditch. This often involves climbing fences, walking through some amount of brush, etc. It can be rough....but we're talking about fossil sites untouched by human hands for ages!

Numerous times the Patrol has stopped and asked me what's up and once I explain they just remind me where not to go and they move on.

I suggest you call the Highway Patrol and find out if this is kosher in Georgia.

Plax

Also keep in mind that the material removed in the road cut is often used as fill nearby; usually to bring the grade of the road up before and after the cut. Local roads can often get you there and they can be found on google earth.