Rapp creek hunting

Rowboater

Back to the same hole I have been mining.  Really nice weather, which brought out the mosquitoes.  Found lots of sand shark, some bull/ dusky shark, several more angel shark, and the smallest cowshark tooth I've ever found (and a small one with big root and small tooth that I don't recognize). 

I looked hard in the area where I found the ulna with quill attachments last week and did find more bone pieces, and busted teeth(?).  Many were "whale bone" (including two pieces that were one earlier, fit together well) but two were more interesting, although non-descript.  I'll try to add some better pictures of those two.   

2-16-18-teeth.pdf

2-16-18-tiny-teeth.pdf

2-16-18-bone.pdf

2-16-18-bone2.pdf

It would be better to scan your fossils into image file format, such as PNG or JPG, rather than to a PDF. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Unfortunately, I had pooled most all my teeth from the last few weeks.  If the jpg image works, I will re-sort and re-photograph.

2 minutes ago, Rowboater said:

Unfortunately, I had pooled most all my teeth from the last few weeks.  If the jpg image works, I will re-sort and re-photograph.

It worked. Some nice ones in there which are certainly worth re-photographing.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks Ludwigia!

Here are some of my favorites (good that I'm satisfied with tiny teeth).  Several cowshark teeth, a dozen or more angel shark teeth (stood on ends, then knocked over), a couple of sand shark teeth (must be from a different part of the mouth(?), often split teeth look like this in profile but these two are whole), a denticle (maybe a second tiny one also) and presumably(?) some small versions of bigger teeth (not sure what the thin bladed tooth is near the penny(?)).

2-16-18-tinies.jpg

2-16-18-tinies2.jpg

Most common teeth here.  Some sand shark teeth have sharp cusplets, some have small blunted cusplets, many have none.  Originally I thought this was from weathering, but see no correlation with the rest of the tooth.

2-16-18-sandshark.jpg

With smaller teeth cusplets seem to disappear with weathering.  Other species mix in, lot of lemon shark teeth.  Also some slightly broader teeth (?)2-16-18-medium-lemon.thumb.jpg.3eedeb1d6cf1826fc412e889a637c9a3.jpg

Find very few hemipristis or tiger shark teeth here.  Most of the triangular shark teeth are bull or dusky shark teeth.  Tried to sort by serrations, from top to bottom.  Unfortunately most are missing roots.2-16-18-triangular-teeth.thumb.jpg.9aac32d5ecad0d23107c93a54eb886e1.jpg  

Here is the rest of the first photo, lots of broken stuff unfortunately.  A small sawfish rostral 'tooth' (haven't seen many in a while).2-16-18-turtle-drum-skate-vertebra-bone.thumb.jpg.b99406d512fe05556b6e690258ae8724.jpg

Here is some bone (and broken teeth) and a second scan after flipping over.  Where I found the ulna with quill marks last week (added into the middle), I found a smaller bone (radius?), some hollow bone shards, some "whale bone"- one concave piece broken, and a small, dark, slightly curved, almost triangular piece. 

2-16-18-bone.jpg

2-16-18-bone2.jpg

Wow that's a big haul! Great trip!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Wow.  That is a very nice haul. I am not sure what it is from but I like the piece that has multiple teeth in it.

Is that one tooth or a jaw section with 5 teeth?

It is a small fragile jawbone portion with multiple black black teeth and empty tooth sockets.  Not sure it's really fossilized, or what type of small mammal.  Was in the same shells and tiny gravels in the creek.

11 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Wow.  That is a very nice haul. I am not sure what it is from but I like the piece that has multiple teeth in it.

Is that one tooth or a jaw section with 5 teeth?

I believe that is what he is calling a cowshark tooth. The two most common genus are Notorynchus and Hexanchus.

The Notorynchus had a species that has 6 gills. I have wondered if @sixgill pete takes his name from this shark.

Hi,

I think yes Kim ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Looking at the small triangular "bone", it seems to have fine lines running its length.  Does that mean it's more likely a tooth?  Need to find someone with a much better camera.  

5 hours ago, Rowboater said:

Looking at the small triangular "bone", it seems to have fine lines running its length.  Does that mean it's more likely a tooth?  Need to find someone with a much better camera.  

To many pieces in Your pictures to say which one You are referring to.

Can You post pictures of the piece in question?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Less than 2 inches long and I thought was a bone, but has fine lines down the sides (more fine, parallel than appears in photos).  Two sides come together in a lridge; the side opposite this ridge is rounded (and chipped).  Half of one end (one side) appears sand filled; the other chisel end may have have a small hollow in the middle.

Archived