Rapp creek hunting

Rowboater

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Looks like a fish rib bone to Me. Definitely not a tooth.

Great, thanks.  I had no idea what it is.

Beautiful day yesterday but I may need to find a new spot.  Outside of a nice tiger shark tooth (rare in this spot), nothing all that interesting and only one angel shark tooth and no cowshark teeth.2-20-18-teeth.thumb.jpg.0ba15ac9b92ac9e4b0c5cab8be81c44e.jpg

8 hours ago, Rowboater said:

Beautiful day yesterday but I may need to find a new spot.  Outside of a nice tiger shark tooth (rare in this spot), nothing all that interesting and only one angel shark tooth and no cowshark teeth.

Looks like a nice haul to Me.:D:yay-smiley-1:

I see several teeth in there that I would love to find.:wub::envy:

And the rare fossils do not show up every trip. That is why they are considered rare.:ninja::hearty-laugh:

Keep looking and You will find more.B):thumbsu:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Looks like a nice haul to Me.:D:yay-smiley-1:

I see several teeth in there that I would love to find.:wub::envy:

And the rare fossils do not show up every trip. That is why they are considered rare.:ninja::hearty-laugh:

Keep looking and You will find more.B):thumbsu:

Hi ynot,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I really appreciate the help with IDs and interest in my tiny teeth!  Everyone on thefossilforum seems so supportive.

Another beautiful2-25-18-teeth.thumb.jpg.bc2c3a130efb72d6455ab9353e1961be.jpg day, more tiny teeth.  Added some turtle/ bone (and maybe a few shell or rock) pieces, but probably not identifiable.

Was supposed to be warm, but morning was cold and breezy (and the water really cold!)  Most of the teeth were broken, few cusplets on them.  Even a few angel shark teeth were broken.2-28-18-teeth.thumb.jpg.00d1a9e65e6589eec1fdf3692efdf2cf.jpg2-28-18-2.jpg.35519c746eaaf56341de68f73346a2d9.jpg  However, I did find a cow shark tooth (maybe two?) and although far from perfect, it made my day! 

@Rowboater

I like the ray barb on the right hand side of your photos.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

2 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@Rowboater

Better shape than most I find.  Always wonder how long those things would be if intact.

16 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@Rowboater

Here are most of the skate stuff I've found in February.  Have never found a plate, just isolated teeth and barbs.  No idea as to different species.2-28-18-skate.thumb.jpg.6d8e0f3a26e092507bef305dae7d91d8.jpg2-28-18-stinger.thumb.jpg.252d1ebe4fab573d69b54422e9356d22.jpg

On 2/28/2018 at 12:21 PM, Rowboater said:

, I did find a cow shark tooth (maybe two?)

I would say 2 cow shark teeth. The tooth just above the lower hexanchus is an upper a3 hexanchus tooth. It looks compleat.

Nice finds all around!

On 2/28/2018 at 6:18 PM, Rowboater said:

Better shape than most I find.  Always wonder how long those things would be if intact.

Here's 1 that Mrs.SA2 found at the end of November. It is by far the largest in our collection.

20171120_210652_resized.jpg.aae7ff91dd87893c3a8d1056f544a658.jpg

20171120_210731_resized.jpg.3d4985fc9175b261d97e8110193115d4.jpg

Here is 1 found by @bmitchell887's fiance last month. Rumor I heard was he tried to knock her down in the cold water so he could grab it first. :muahaha:

53198.thumb.jpeg.9173eb236b676c6e30f6baa729c2754b.jpeg

53197.thumb.jpeg.59665d3411260f60f140d32d31b13998.jpeg

Don't know much biology

11 hours ago, ynot said:

I would say 2 cow shark teeth. The tooth just above the lower hexanchus is an upper a3 hexanchus tooth. It looks compleat.

Nice finds all around!

Knowing the geology in the general area where @Rowboater was collecting, the cow shark teeth should be Notorynchus cepedianus (Peron, 1807) instead of Hexanchus. @ynot, not trying to correct you, just want to make sure he has correct IDs for his specimens.

References: 

http://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/fish-shark/notorynchus/notorynchus.htm

http://elasmo.com/refs/compagno/ljvc2005.html

Don't know much biology

On 3/2/2018 at 10:45 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

Here's 1 that Mrs.SA2 found at the end of November. It is by far the largest in our collection.

20171120_210652_resized.jpg.aae7ff91dd87893c3a8d1056f544a658.jpg

20171120_210731_resized.jpg.3d4985fc9175b261d97e8110193115d4.jpg

Here is 1 found by @bmitchell887's fiance last month. Rumor I heard was he tried to knock her down in the cold water so he could grab it first. :muahaha:

53198.thumb.jpeg.9173eb236b676c6e30f6baa729c2754b.jpeg

53197.thumb.jpeg.59665d3411260f60f140d32d31b13998.jpeg

That is true but she threw a shoulder and I went swimming. Lesson learned. 

Your plates are beautiful!  Always wonder if I am overlooking stuff while searching for teeth, but would hope not to overlook a skate teeth plate.  I pick up a lot of turtle shells, and rocks.  Guessing those were found in Virginia??  If so, there's hope for me yet.

Today I tested my rowboat on the Rapp (surprised it didn't leak) and went beachcombing on a nearby beach, hoping the windstorm would throw some big teeth out.  Lots and lots of black leaves may have interfered with my sight processing.  Only found two small ones.  Tried again where I have been 'mining' but didn't find anything special in an hour and the water was really cold, so quit until after the next storm.

I recently found something that look similar and so far, the consensus is that it is a peccary tusk. Yours may be too?

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 7:57 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

the cow shark teeth should be Notorynchus cepedianus (Peron, 1807) instead of Hexanchus. @ynot, not trying to correct you,

Correct Me whenever You can!:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

I am not any good at telling the different hexanchiformes.:doh!:

On 3/8/2018 at 11:49 AM, dodo4 said:

I recently found something that look similar and so far, the consensus is that it is a peccary tusk. Yours may be too?

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

Nice tooth!  More elongated than the porpoise teeth(?) I sometimes find, usually in rough shape.  I have no idea what my bone is, don't find many even 2" long, so I defer to the experts here (probably need to get a better camera!)  

I tried again yesterday.  The ice water in the creek and the howling wind made it seem a bit stupid to be out.  Found nothing for the first hour or so, and then when finally uncovered a better spot was so cold I couldn't 'mine' it as long as I would have liked.  Will probably skip a week and hope for warmer less windy weather.

The finds were mostly broken sand shark and bull/dusky shark teeth (only showed some of the better, although still searching for an elusive BIG tooth).  Found six or more angel shark teeth (plus a small ray dermal spike, which is also small and curved and the base round).  I tied to take a scan with the angel teeth all standing up on their triangular bases, plus one with them all knocked over (harder than I thought with recovering cold fingers). 

Found six vertebrae, including two bigger ones (for me); probably common to most of you, but I don't find many verts.  I noticed that there were less shells and lots more fine gravels when sifting, maybe the verts accumulate differently than most teeth?

Lots of small weird stuff picked up, a few in the scans, several steinkerns(?) with glossy edges.

3-9-18-teeth.jpg

3-9-18-teeth2.jpg

3-9-18-verts-angel1.jpg

3-9-18-verts-angel2.jpg

On 2/18/2018 at 10:50 AM, KimTexan said:

I believe that is what he is calling a cowshark tooth. The two most common genus are Notorynchus and Hexanchus.

The Notorynchus had a species that has 6 gills. I have wondered if @sixgill pete takes his name from this shark.

Notorynchus has 7 gills. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadnose_sevengill_shark. Hexanchus has 6 gills. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluntnose_sixgill_shark

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

Archived