New York fossilhunt

Darktooth

It is 5:30 am and a brisk 23º but I am going to try my luck on some trilos today. I will keep you posted.:fingerscrossed:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Good luck, Dave! :fingerscrossed:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Seriously don't break a leg, but hope you do well. That big Dipleura is waiting for you to provide it a warm home. 

Thanks for the well wishes guys and gals! What started out as cold and seemingly impossible task turned out not to shabby. When I left the house I had my mind set on Cole Hill. As I made my way farther west I saw that they had more snow then were I live. I decided that Deep Springs might be the better option for today. When I got there at 7, I was disappointed to see that while there was some exposed rock, there was a lot more snow then the last time I was there. Added to that was the fact that at 23º everything was frozen solid.  For the first hour I just kind of wandered around looking for anything that looked promising.  Finally the sun came up from behind a hill and within a few minutes the snow and ice start melting just enough to make a difference. I started working on my second favorite out crop and manage to pull out a lot of slabs by the time I left at 11. I didn't find any great trilos like I wanted, but did managed bits and pieces the hihlight of today was a pretty decent size piece of fossil wood. While I have found wood before, this was the first time it didn't just crumble away. A couple pieces did fall off, but they are good size pieces. The rest appears to go back into the slab, but I don't know how far. So there will be some prepping for me to do. Luckily the matrix is weathered pretty good so it shouldn't give me to much trouble. I do believe that I was getting close to some real prizes as I was seeing a lot of trilo parts. I also think that the slabs I dug today probably hold some goodies in them. I am going back to do a repeat trip tomorrow.  It is supposed to be a little better weather wise I want to break those slabs open as well as dig farther into the outcrop. Here are some pics of todays finds.

20180217_161812.jpg

20180217_161823.jpg

20180217_161942.jpg

20180217_162015.jpg

20180217_162047.jpg

20180217_162307.jpg

Any suggestions for stabilizing this wood? It is flaking a little when I pick it up.

20180217_171647.jpg

20180217_171653.jpg

20180217_171658.jpg

Pretty neat haul! My favourite of these is that brachiopod (the name of which I once knew and now I've forgotten :blush:).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I didn't find any grwat trilos like I wanted, but did managed bits and pieces the hihlight of today was a pretty decent size piece of fossil wood.

In my opinion those trilos. Are pretty grwat! The wood would also be my hihlight!:P

seriously though, nice trilos and wood that age is pretty awesome!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds. Always wanted to find a trilo. Something different than what I always find on the bay. I’ve tried my luck at western Maryland road cuts and always come up short. 

P.S. I wanna say I met you at brownies a while back when you found a nice 2 in meg. 

Conor 

6 hours ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

I’ve tried my luck at western Maryland road cuts and always come up short. 

They are very hard to find in Maryland. If you ever take a weekend trip to the lost river site in Wardensville, WV you have a good chance of finding one;)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

Nice finds. Always wanted to find a trilo. Something different than what I always find on the bay. I’ve tried my luck at western Maryland road cuts and always come up short. 

P.S. I wanna say I met you at brownies a while back when you found a nice 2 in meg. 

Conor 

Yes that was me, just a little over a year ago. That was the last time I was at Brownies. I am trying to go in a couple weeks. I love finding trilos but it is a totally different kind of hunt , then looking for sharks teeth.

I was at wardensville yesterday and there wasn’t much to be found. A couple of partials and the rock is very crumbly right now. Of course it snowed a bunch last night. I am just down the road from brownies beach so if anyone wants to collect today I’m happy to join :) 

Yes we got hit with a couple inches of snow last night so I didn't go back today. I will go back tomorrow even if only to bring back a couple slabs that look promising. That way I will have something to keep me occupied until this weather breaks. It has been so up and down this year.

1 hour ago, snakebite6769 said:

I was at wardensville yesterday and there wasn’t much to be found. A couple of partials and the rock is very crumbly right now. Of course it snowed a bunch last night. I am just down the road from brownies beach so if anyone wants to collect today I’m happy to join :) 

The rocks always crumbly, but especially so after a freeze/thaw. I’ve only went once and I got a ton of partials and one which I suspect to be complete but is buried under the matrix (no hope of it coming out). I might head to Brownies today, I’ll send you a PM if I decide to.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice job, Dave.  I like the squish-outs from there. 

20180217_161942.jpg
Kind of cool. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Yes that was me, just a little over a year ago. That was the last time I was at Brownies. I am trying to go in a couple weeks. I love finding trilos but it is a totally different kind of hunt , then looking for sharks teeth.

If you go between March 10 and March 18 let me know that’s my spring break. I’m gonna try to fit in as many trips as possible in that week lol

2 hours ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

If you go between March 10 and March 18 let me know that’s my spring break. I’m gonna try to fit in as many trips as possible in that week lol

I was actually planning on the 2&3 but I think my plans may have to change as circumstances have arose.

Archived