DatFossilBoy

This is one of my favourite piece in my collection.

It is a Kettneraspis in defending position that I got from an unexperienced private seller in Paris who sold it me for 1/4 of the price.

Really Nice detail and shapes, unfortunately missing eye and left tip of the spine,could do with some preparation and repairing but I don't have the tools because they are quite expensive...:(

Apart from that really happy.

Hope you like the post :trilo:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

A really nice and good sized trilobite, congratulations Thomas:goodjob:

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Ya done good. Makes me start thinking about where I can get one of those spiny bugs for myself, but the prices are always out of my reach.

My friend @DatFossilBoy. You do not need specialized and very expensive tools to perform a repair / restoration on this specimen. Mass epoxy is something cheap and I believe it is available in your country as well:

image.png.b4d7767147ddf0cb5cc0eb1d20bb6164.png

You will only need a little modeling skill. It's fun and you'll learn a lot from this simple experience.

With a little skill, with epoxy resin you can model the eye and the tip of the spine:

image.png.14c0ba95d7a4ec1f7434ad39e172ad3d.png

With a sandpaper, you can remove some dust from the matrix at the bottom of the matrix. So, just mix 85% of this powder with 5% cement and a little water to be able to repair the top:

image.png.f5bde851796e71688279947edeb766ef.png

Now with acrylic paint that you will easily find in the best craft houses (tubes, the same as artists use to paint pictures), make blends until you find the color that best looks like the original color of the specimen. Now just paint:

image.png.4f606d64c02f10123046008838d4fcdd.png

And now all right, your fossil is already ready for exposure, with a repair / restoration that will not come to cost US $ 10!

There are dozens of other modes of restoration that I use here in my preparation lab, including molds and mirrors, but the one I've taught here is the most economical way and does not require great technical skills, and it delivers great results!

But it's just a suggestion, I do not blame myself.

Good luck! :D

And with regard to your trilobite Kettneraspis, even without restoration, that is, the way it is, congratulations because it is a beautiful trilobite! ;)

• I found this Informative 5

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

3 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

My friend @DatFossilBoy. You do not need specialized and very expensive tools to perform a repair / restoration on this specimen. Mass epoxy is something cheap and I believe it is available in your country as well:

image.png.b4d7767147ddf0cb5cc0eb1d20bb6164.png

You will only need a little modeling skill. It's fun and you'll learn a lot from this simple experience.

With a little skill, with epoxy resin you can model the eye and the tip of the spine:

image.png.14c0ba95d7a4ec1f7434ad39e172ad3d.png

With a sandpaper, you can remove some dust from the matrix at the bottom of the matrix. So, just mix 85% of this powder with 5% cement and a little water to be able to repair the top:

image.png.f5bde851796e71688279947edeb766ef.png

Now with acrylic paint that you will easily find in the best craft houses (tubes, the same as artists use to paint pictures), make blends until you find the color that best looks like the original color of the specimen. Now just paint:

image.png.4f606d64c02f10123046008838d4fcdd.png

And now all right, your fossil is already ready for exposure, with a repair / restoration that will not come to cost US $ 10!

There are dozens of other modes of restoration that I use here in my preparation lab, including molds and mirrors, but the one I've taught here is the most economical way and does not require great technical skills, and it delivers great results!

But it's just a suggestion, I do not blame myself.

Good luck! :D

And with regard to your trilobite Kettneraspis, even without restoration, that is, the way it is, congratulations because it is a beautiful trilobite! ;)

Thank you so much for this super clear,helpful and heart warming message.

I will try my best finding all these elements and listening to your advice.

Thank you for time,effort and kindness, I will send you a picture when it's repaired. ;) 

Thomas