South Sulphur River - Neylandville, TX Geology

GeschWhat

I picked up this little spiral coprolite at the Tucson Gem Show a couple of weeks ago. It was collected by John Schultz in 2005 at the "old bridge site" on the South Sulphur River near Neylandville, Texas. I am trying to figure out the geology of the area, and I am coming up with Holocene Alluvium. Is anyone here familiar with the area? If so, is this correct? The reason I ask is that I have another spiral coprolite in my collection found along the same river in Hunt County, from the same gentleman's collection, that was labeled from the Taylor Marl - Cretaceous. Thanks for your help!

Spiral-Coprolite-South-Sulphur-River-Pinched-All-Small.jpg

It is probably from Cretaceous Navarro Group 72-65 mya which is similar to rocks found at the North Sulphur River.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I'm not sure on the formation since I forgot to check it out with my app while hunting. I think it's different from the North Sulphur River. I've seen fossils from the South Sulphur that the North Sulphur doesn't have. 

I have a 50 lb bucket of matrix to sort through when I get home from offfshore from there. :)

Archived