Need help with fossil CRAB

crinus

This specimen recently came into my possession with little information.  There was a label that said "near Mangyshlak, Kazakhstan".  I did some searching and I see nothing like this coming from Kazakhstan.  I know there a number of crab experts on this forum so I was wondering if anyone recognizes this specimen.  The concretion is like a sandstone.  Looks porous.  Also, it would not surprise me that the concretion was shaped into a concretions as there are chisel marks on the outside.  The matrix looks soft enough to be shaped.  However, I can't be sure.  Any help is appreciated.

DSC_1429.JPG

DSC_1430.JPG

I think @Doctor Mud, could have an idea, at least about the family of your crab.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Looks very much like the Tumidocarcinus crab from New Zealand, but Ive never seen one in rock like that.  Also, the face of the crab does not look like a Tumido?  Thats about all I can tell you.  I know its not much help though.  You have nothing for scale?  If you can a hold of MB, he would more than likely know what it is.  Good luck

RB

I've seen specimens sold as Coeloma taunicum from the Oligocene of  Mangyshlak, Kazakhstan.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with Fossisle that it looks like a crab I've seen from Indonesia (Galene?).  This one seem a little better preserved than the ones I've seen on-line.

• I found this Informative 1

By the way Joe, I think your crab is perfectly real, it shows the layers of shell mateial although soft.

There is a species from that locality: C. birsteini, Mangyshlak (Kazakhstan); Oligocene; Ilyin (2005)*, mentioned in Jagt et al. (2010)**.

Coleoma.thumb.jpg.6d7ef4a21deee2c9c73c858726834404.jpg

* Ilyin, I.V., 2005. Melovye i paleogenovye desiatinogie rakoobraznye (Crustaceamorpha, Decapoda) zapadnoii chasti Severnoi Evrazii. Moskva, Izdatel’stvo Moskovskogo Universiteta, 295 + ii pp.

** J.W.M. Jagt et al. 2010. Coeloma rupeliense (Crustacea, Decapoda, Brachyura) from the Bilzen Formation (Rupel Group, Lower Oligocene) in northeast Belgium. Bulletin de l’Institut royal des Sciences naturelles de Belgique, Sciences de la Terre, 80: 245-252

• I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 2/18/2018 at 11:07 AM, crabfossilsteve said:

I agree with Fossisle that it looks like a crab I've seen from Indonesia (Galene?).  This one seem a little better preserved than the ones I've seen on-line.

From what I have found on the internet, this seems the best possibility.   The crabs from Kazakhstan all are of a different color and the concretion seems different.  The box this one came in also had one that is definitely from Kazakhstan.  I didn't think this one was but was labeled as Kazakhstan.   For now I will go with Indonesia unless someone wants to dispute that locality. Thanks to all for the help.

BTW- the concretion is 3 inches across.  Sorry I forgot to put something in for size.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/2/2018 at 5:21 AM, fossisle said:

I think I have seen something like this from Indonesia or China. Galene sp?

Yes, I agree, those crabs ara always labelled as Indonesia, and yes, they might be Galene

:)