Kem Kem vert process ID

Aurelius

I obtained this bone a while back, but put it to one side, in the hope that I'd be able to identify it later.

P_PC4151.thumb.jpg.237bcb59db97027d0facf62422b93801.jpg

P_PC4152.thumb.jpg.d8d04a0f08004a08e6012246c43030e0.jpg

It's from Kem Kem and appears to be a process from a vert. In fact, I'm pretty certain it is, because a dealer online has listed this vert, which has a nearly identical process.

5a8889b88a45f_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.0ee5ae62fb32b109e62b9a34cd7db3a1.jpg

5a8889bb0ba90_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.e57d7b3aaa818a97dec8721711e63fc8.jpg

I'm not so hot on dinosaur anatomy, but I have been looking at photos and diagrams to try and work it out. Would I be right in assuming that the vert above isn't Spinosaurus? I assume it must be dinosaur, because of the size.

Thanks in advance.

I remember bidding on that first bone as well cause I thought it looks interesting. That more complete vertebra you are showing here is a cervical vert of a Spinosaurid. I would need to see the underside to tell if it's Sigilmassasaurus or Spinosaurus. It's definitely Spinosaurid though, and its from the back of the neck.

The first piece definitely is part of a vertebra. When I saw it on the internet before I thought it looked a bit odd though. I think there were more photos from different angles. It didn't seem to be broken on some ends where I would expect it to be. So my thinking at the time was that might be part of an atlas vertebra of a theropod, which would make it quite interesting. So perhaps you can post some more angles of the bone to figure out if my earlier hunch has any merit. On just these two photos its quite hard to see what the complete shape is like.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you - it's one of those things that's difficult to photograph, being a relatively complex shape, so I've done a 3D model of it. This is fairly crude photogrammetry, and you can see my wife's fingers at the bottom as well as a strange mass on the left hand 'lobe' that isn't really there - but hopefully it'll be good enough!

Yes this definitely helps. Yes, I would say you were correct in your first post. It does look like the process of that other vertebra you posted photos of. I can see two broken off areas now as well as the rough area where it attaches to the centrum. This is a left lateral process of a cervical vertebra of a theropod. The left prezygapophysis is also present. Directly behind it is where the piece is broken off where the neural arch would continue to span the middle of the vertebra. I initially recognise this part as broken, which is why I thought atlas might be a possibility. But with this new information I do not think this is an atlas vertebra. But it's definitely part of one of the other cervical vertebrae.

It might be too fragmentary to identify what type of theropod though. But the hollow chambers and shape definitely place it in theropoda. I think Spinosaurid is a probability but I can't be sure. If it is Spinosaurid, I would lean towards Sigilmassasaurus due to the stockiness. Spinosaurus cervical vertebrae tend to be longer.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived